Does school determine if your smart or not?

I heard that in Asia, children get better education. Does school determine how smart someone is? is smartness genetic? or is the enviroment you grew up in? the household?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a combination of both.

I my opinion "intelligence" is how efficiently you can process, store and retain information.

"knowledge" is the information you have retained.

So a person with an above average level of intelligence could study for only 1 hour and get an A on an exam.

A person with an average lever of intelligence might have to study for 2 hours to get that same A.

They have the same knowledge but the person with the higher intelligence obtained it more efficiently. Also the average person might have to brush up on it more frequently to retain that knowledge.

Intelligence is inate, how much knowledge is available to you in rhe classroom and what you are expected to know would vary depending on the school.

What Guys Said 6

• individually? no, hell no lol. generally it is a safer bet, but no guarantee that it will actually make you smart or keep you that way. if you strictly mean "academically smart" then perhaps. but cmon, lets take it to a wider view :P

• Schools have nothing to do with how smart a person is
    Its all about who that person is and how smart they are

• Nope, I mean it does help but it overall does not determine whether you are smart or not, either you're smart or your not and that is something determined at birth.

• No, what you learn in school doesn't equal to your intelligence. I know some really stupid people who graduate from college.

• Your environment is more effective, genetic plays less,,

• Genetic and environmental.

And it's "... if you're smart..." Not "your"

What Girls Said 5

• Not really. I knew a guy who was smarter than most of us but because he was smart an understood the material he didn't see a reason to waste time soon homework. So his grades sucked but he was still really smart

• It's the household and the culture because in places such as Asia, education is extremely important to families

• Nope because there is many different ways to evaluate ''intelligence'' .

• It would seem so at the very least higher education, usually commands more respect that's for sure.

• depends on the level and what you are comparing them with. If you are talking about elementary-high school level and compsring with US school system, then, in my opinion and based on my own experience, yes they have better school system. with that said however, schools does not detrrmine how smart a person is. There are people who are A students academically but when they jump to the real world, they don't know what to do. There are those who are average at school but able to excel in life. As for the other circumstances, yeas of course they play a part, environment, genetic, social strata etc will effect ones ability to get better education. But one circumstance alone does not determine one's "smartness". I'm not a researcher or scientist etc, so please view my response merely as an opinion.