Why are women allowed to be depressed and still get a boyfriend but men can't be if they don't want to be single forever?

Oh wait, I forgot, the only way a woman will like you is if you're perfect, or a player. Makes sense. But seriously, why can women be depressed? If a guy is depressed he won't get a girlfriend, which will likely just make him more depressed, feeding the cycle. And no, I don't just mean feeling blue, I mean clinical depression like I have.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why are women allowed to be depressed and still get a boyfriend but men can't be if they don't want to be single forever?
    Possibly because guys seemingly mainly care about her looks and sex so not much effort is in considering the gal's personality or the effects it will have on the relationship. Which is probably why discussions of the future and commitment are often avoided as he's thinking about right now.

Plus gals are often portrayed as emotional messes so her depression may not be seen as some outlier red flag.

But seriously, why can women be depressed?
    Guys can be depressed as well it's just seemingly not appealing to most gals.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't think that is necessarily true. Women are more nurturing which makes us more likely to try and nurse you out of it. Which of course doesn't work...

• had this discussion with my friends and we came to the conclusion of women being somewhat emotionaly needy and stereotypically men are expected to be stronger. whereas most gender stereotypes are frowned upon and women will argue but thats how it seems to be. i am happy to be with someone (obviously I'm only 16 so it has never been serious) but if they need me I'm there but i expect the same back.

What Guys Said 1

• So you think depressed girls get boyfriends easily? I don't think so.