Why are women so much more critical when it comes to weight?

There is a question Here, in short a man claims to be attracted to a fat girls personality, but not her physically. Many girls are saying he is shallow or he should give her a chance. I know for a fact none of those girls would even think of giving a fat guy a chance.

Why is there a double standard here?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because while its expected that a guy shouldn't be entitled to a certain type of woman, its okay for a woman to be entitled to a certain type of man. Guys are expected to take what they can get, but women aren't ever.

• Thanks for MHO

What Girls Said 7

• As someone who is attracted to a wide range of body types and other physical characteristics, it is easy to view people with very narrow definitions of attractiveness as shallow (men and women).

That said, I don't think that people can force themselves to be physically attracted to people that they're not attracted to, and I would never advise anyone to get into a relationship with someone they aren't physically attracted to.

In terms of the question you posted, I'd point out that the people who said that he should give the girl a chance aren't necessarily people who wouldn't give a fat guy a chance themselves. I don't know how you could possibly know/claim that "none of those girls would even think of giving a fat guy a chance".

• I don't think that is exactly true. Everyone has different types. I am sure that for every guy that likes fat girls there is a girl that likes fat guys. I wouldn't consider myself shallow but I personally don't find fat guys attractive, but I also don't find fit guys attractive. My ideal guy is more inbetween, that doesn't mean I wouldn't date someone out of my "ideal attractive zone" but they would just have to have a great personality.

• I am all about physical and sexual attraction first and foremost + date men who are likewise.

I personally do not see either of us as being shallow... just totally honest :)

• Probz BC girls are stereotyped to be more fragile and emotional

• I most certainly would! It's about the person

• Oh, so you didn't see the other question today about a really fat guy with a very pretty girlfriend? www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1493539-omg-how-do-obese-guys-like-this-guy-get-hot-girlfriends

There are definitely women who date overweight men. There are men who date overweight women, as well. I don't see much of a double standard when it comes to this.

In the case of that question you linked though, I thought he shouldn't date her because he's clearly not attracted to her and going to hold her weight against her. Neither of them would be happy in that relationship.

• There is always a double standard.

What Guys Said 5

• Hot people date hot people and ugly people date ugly people, it's the cycle of life and I don't really have a problem with it. Someone that spends hours and hours each week on lifting weights and eating healthy deserves someone that does the same, and vice versa.

• who knows men have been trying to figure out women since the dawn of time it will never happen you might want to focus this question on just women.

• Amen women think they can get away with crap like he's not my type, or I like him but he's to fat etc. But if I said she's not my type or I find her fat I'm a jerk.

• fat guy? have you seen kenan's fromkenan and kels wife

• Haha, its a social norm that you just have to expect. I don't like it either. I'm more well mannered than most of my thin friends and dress nicer. Problem is that Im extremely muscular and chubby, making me look huge, and in a way, unattractive.