Study: Men want women to pay on dates , but are afraid to speak up lol What do you gagers think of this?

Why are they so afraid? lol Here's the study. gag isn't working right so that's why this link is in the update newsfeed.time.com/.../

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that's fair. To me, a date is for BOTH people. It's to offer both of them the opportunity to get to know each other and see if there's a connection, and for both of them to have fun and enjoy themselves. I don't see any reason why one person should be required to pay for the whole thing, or why it should be based on gender.

Some people suggest that the person who asks should pay, which I think is a good way of handling it in theory, but in reality, men still do a disproportionate amount of asking, which means they'd continue to have to do a disproportionate amount of paying. I prefer to either split the bill, or one person pay for part of the date (e. g. dinner) and the other pay for another part (e. g. movie).

I think men are afraid to speak up about wanting women to pay on dates because they're afraid it will cause women to lose interest (and for some women, it will). I think that if you're the type of guy who has a lot of women interested in you, you might be more willing to bring it up, but for guys who don't go out with a lot of women, or if it's a woman that he really likes, he's more afraid that she might lose interest. For some guys, paying for the date is a better alternative than losing the opportunity to continue dating (and possibly having a relationship with) the woman.

What Girls Said 4

• i think that's hilarious. if u want me to pay, tell me. I'm not gonna get offended for paying for food that I've eaten. i've done it before.

i think it'd just be a little weird if he asked me to pay for both of us like for a month or two in straight goes. gotta mix it up right?

• I personally think it unfair that men even feel that pressure to begin with.

I hate it even more when dates argue about me NOT wanting or NOT accepting anything from them, which unfortunately happens weekly.

ie: I NEVER give in and arguments always ensue.

• yeah i offered to pay for myself once, and he was like "are you sure," but it was fine.
    same with prom- ik some guys pay but i dont want him to go broke

but i'd also not want to pay for both of us all the time either

• I think, pay for your own meal.

What Guys Said 7

• Only selfish men want women to pay. In reality, men simply want women to not rely on men all of the time and pay as well, just do be fair.

• Only men who are afraid pay for everything everytime. Guys like that deserve to be taken.

• Oops I now see your first part of your comment was sarcastic I'm guessing?

• What I meant by that was that there are two types of men that want women to pay: those who are too cheap and want women to pay all of the time, and those who just want women to step up and pay as well. Not for everything but just so that it would be fair.

• I don't think it should be based on gender.. I think whoever takes the other person out should treat the person whether that person is male or female. It's whatever to me.

• I heard from my dad and older brother that a guy should pay for dates because it is the gentleman thing to do. But they also said that it would be nice if the girl can contribute at least half because paying dinner and activities gets expensive.
    I asked my ex if she wanted to pay half of things we did together and she didn't mind. It took me awhile to ask her but I'm glad I did or I would have gone broke.

• your dad/brother sound knowledgeable
      but actually the half thing is a cool idea

• It beats one paying fully. Some where around half any way.

• Actually I want to prefer to pay for my dates.

• I've never had a date but I would have no issue with asking her to pay for herself.

• lol - no. I take pride in that I can take care of the bill

• So you wouldn't let her pay or ask to split the bill because your ego would be hurt?

• Ego? no not ego. Simple politeness and respect for her. If LATER after dating a while, she wants to take me out that would be fine.

• Each one pays they own