Why do people get in Relationships?

I suppose I had this ideal, I don't have any interest in relationships that I don't think could potentially result in marriage. i've always viewed relationships at pointless unless there is an expectation to eventually commit if you're both right

But I have a friend, she's always dating guys. Almost as if there is no emmotional commitment but i know quite a lot like that. I also wanted to wait for marriage because I didn't see the point otherwise, but this girl just gets in relationships and i wouldn't really call her the affectionate type and she doesn't have sex with most guys she's with.

- Some people get in relationships entirely for sex
- Some for comfort
- Some for potential marriage

• I date for sex
  • I date for potential marriage
  • i date for comfort
  • I date for company
  • OTher

Most Helpful Guy

• A good example is my current girlfriend. We got together back in February . We both knew we would have to break up in September 100%, she is starting university and I am going home after a year abroad. I can't stay and she has 3 years of uni, so it was decided even thinking about staying together was dumb.

I suppose constant, reliable access to sex is a big part, plus we got tested a while back and we are both clean and keeping it exclusive keeps it that way, hence not just friends with benefits . Plus, I enjoy relationship sex waaaaaay more than casual sex anyway.

Some of it is for the company as well, we enjoy doing things together so we like hanging out and going out, with the mutual physical attraction and desire to keep exclusive a relationship made sense, even though we knew we would not stay together.

In the end, even if we could make it last long term, I couldn't see myself with her after 2-3 years, certainly not marriage, she is too implosive and has an addictive personalty I don't like too much.

But for now it is fun and simple with good sex, so why not? 8 months is enough time to really enjoy a relationship with someone, hell it is longer than most at our age!

What Girls Said 6

• I chose "other" because it's a combination of these.

I would ultimately like to get married, so dating is about finding someone who I'm compatible with in the long-term. The reasons I want a long-term relationship involve a desire for sex, comfort, and company.

Some relationships last a short time because you discover that you're not compatible. Sometimes you're in a relationship with someone for a long time and still end up realizing that you're not compatible. At some point, maybe you meet someone that IS someone you want to spend the rest of your life with. You aren't going to end up marrying every person you date, but perhaps you'll meet someone you will.

I still think shorter term relationships that don't end in marriage are valuable, because they help you learn more about what you want in a partner, how to be a good partner, how to have a good relationship, etc. That said, I wouldn't stay in a relationship if I was pretty certain it wasn't going to work out.

• Loneliness is a very hard feeling. We are not meant to live alone. In times past, people lived in family systems in supportive and caring communities. While now we often do not live near family or in caring communities, we can create this companionship and fun with a partner. It is generally much more fun to do things with a partner than to be always doing them alone.

• I don't date for potential marriage per say, since relationships can be bad even if you're married. My goal is lifelong love, marriage or not.

• My husband is my best friend. It's just like spending a lot of your time with an awesome friend, who always wants what's best for you, makes you laugh when you need it and gives you the D, upon request.
    What's not to love?

• Company because no one wants to be alone.

• In hope of actually being loved by someone

What Guys Said 5

• I voted "A", because if I were to date (I've never dated), it would mainly be for the sex. I'm just being honest. I'm not saying there are other factors but this is the main aspect of dating for me. I'll eventually date for marriage but that's way down the road.

I think most men tend to date for the sex or physical "goodies", where as women are looking for comfort and marriage. I personally think girls want to settle down to early.

• I have no idea why it's so uncommon to date for marriage these days. I've never been in a relationship, but every girl I crushed on I saw as a potential future wife.

• It's a combo of each option presented.

• I really believe that it's ok the way you think.

In the past I dated for sex now I date for comfort

• I date for all of the above.