How to deal with people talking poorly about others?

So I'm the type of girl that doesn't really have one group of friends. I don't stand with one "clique". For the most part I could be friends with any type of people. Any clique and still form genuine connections. I guess in all I wouldn't really call them great friends, but we are somewhat cool where we would share somewhat personal things. Anyways, since that's the case, whenever people of different cliques see me talking to someone else who isn't there type they talk shit about them. I usually just ignore it and change the conversation. Why are people like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Cuz people are wack & nobody is real. Everybody got something to say about everybody else when they really should be focused on they damn selves

What Guys Said 8

• Well usually its because they have nothing better to do with their time my ex was like that. Intelligent people talk about ideas and thoughts my past girlfriend liked to talk about who was banging who, meanly suggested bad alternatives for people who were going through a hard time. Hence EX. Best thing to do is walk away. Usually i can't do that and tear who ever was saying whatever they were saying a new one.

• You have to ignore and turn a deaf ear to gossip
    and learn to ignore the haters, people will gossip
    when we are all dead and gone is the way i see
    things.

• I try to be like that as well and I never could understand bitching about people myself.

• Those people are probably talking shit about you, too!

#ThinkAboutIt

• Because they're basic as fuck and what you to be too

• I see it as venting. It's a way to get stuff off your chest without causing a confrontation.

• Tell them do not be insane and make them into human-flesh pizzas and eat them as a revenge.

• As a minimum stay quiet and try not to laugh when they laugh about that person.

What Girls Said 5

• I first decide if that person has a good reason to talk badly about that other person. If I disagree, I stick up for the person being talked about and if I agree, I would tell the individual shaming that I understand where they're coming from.

But it might be because of narrow-mindedness. Some people have an Us-Them mentality for most everything.

• people are selfish and a lot of them are just judgmental by nature...
    just ignore them. there's nothing you can really do about it. just be you and ignore people when theyre super negative or rude

• It's just human nature... jealousy and immaturity.

You can't. They'll just end up trying to destroy you if you try to confront or be their friend. They are dangerous to society.

• I know what you mean, there's usually no explanation for it. Are you still at school?

• I would ignore it too.