How to tell my parents I have a boyfriend? Scared they won't like him?

So Im scared to tell my parents I have a boyfriend, and I'm also scared they won't like him. I've never had a boyfriend before, and I don't know how to tell them. If I don't tell them and they find out, then I will most likely be in a lot of trouble, so I know it's best if I tell them. I'm scared they won't like him because he is 2 years older than me, and he's black. I know it sounds awful, but they're both in their 50s and Are to an extent kind of racist. Not extremely racist though, just like they don't think black guys treat white women right, which is a terrible assumption and I disagree with it. Anyways, how do I make it not weird to tell them I have a boyfriend, and to mention he is two years older and black?

Most Helpful Girl

• Two years isn't an age difference.
    So, I don't even know why that would be a issue.
    Also, your parents sound EXTREMELY ignorant.

They've never heard of white men verbally or physically abusing their women? That's only a BLACK thing to do?
    Your parents have lived their whole lives with their ignorance... so I don't expect them to change it.

You just have to be out with the truth!

They might do everything to break you both up or stop you from seeing him.
    Eventually, you have to take control of your life.
    If someone isn't physically or emotionally abusing you, its okay to be with that person.
    You ultimately make the end decision on that!
    You will not always be with your parents forever.

• (In other words, you will NOT always live under their roof)

What Guys Said 4

• Are they going to think that you are dating him because you really like him or because it is a way to rebel against your parents and their preferences? But first, perhaps, you should do some deep soul searching (not the kind of "soul searching" where you come up with an answer in 5 seconds) and ask yourself why you are dating him.

• man... if they r racist sorry but they won't b easy :/

• It sounds like it will be wired no matter how you tell them, you are going against what they believe and tought you, so they will take it pretty hard, sorry I couldn't be more helpful, just being honest, good luck!

• your bringing him to a lynching zone...

If I was him i'd come with an entourage, just in case.

What Girls Said 4

• Being 13 is too young to be in a serious relationship in my opinion and 2 years isn't a big difference once you're over 18. But maturity level at 13 vs 15 is MUCH different. Either way your parents aren't going to like it, part of it is their racism the other part is they're protecting their little girl. I'd say tell them sooner than later. Good luck!

• just tell them, they don't have to meet him, your under 18 so i presume you're still living at home. if you're serious about each other then tell them if its just some playground crush don't bother too much hassle

• Which parent are you closest to? I would start with that one

• My boyfriend is 6 years older than me, age does not matter in true love.

• Yeah but I'm 13 and they'll think it's bad

• I am also just 14 years old and when I met him and befriended with him I was just 12 years old. And I would say to you to not to have sex until you are married it will be better for you and for your future and in my religion sex is allowed only if want to reproduce otherwise no sex at all even after marriage. You are young so you must be careful that any boy does not use you and then leave you. Please don't lose your virginity at least till your marriage. First study hard be something and then marry after you become something don't marry and don't have sex at least before being 18 years. And parents are a gift from God we should respect them love them and take care of them and if parents says to do something or not to do something they says it just for our well being and pleasant future. Never hurt your parents because mata pita devo bhavah.