Whats the big deal with preferring to date outside of my race?

I'm asking cause after an argument with family and lots of weird comments here, I'm getting the idea that its a bad thing, almost sinful, to prefer to date outside of my race. I did ask if it was bad that I prefer not to date dark skinned women and people are just assuming that also means I talk down to/about dark skinned women. However I don't and never have in my life, unless I'm with family and we BSing around. I've never talked down to a dark skinned women just because of that, and about dark skinned women because of my preference. People also want to assume that I must be "brain-washed by media" into thinking fair skinned women are better. To be specific in my life, I'm attracted to light-skinned black women, Hispanics, and white women. Also, I was raised around black people and taught that I should date within my race ONLY. Raised by an older generation who met my ex, who happened to be a ginger, and gave me complete hell on earth about that. Not that she was ginger, but cause she was white. Now I may date a light-skinned black female, lighter than me is ideal, but I just prefer dating outside my race cause I'm like that. So I will say this one more time: I'm not the type to talk down to/about darker women, yet everyone assume that for reasons beyond my understanding. I don't look down on darker women, they're just not my type. I have no issues with darker women and I might even find one attractive, who knows? But can someone tell me why its such a big deal, in 2015, that I'm a black guy that just prefers to not be with black women?

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't worry about the comments you get on here. Half the people on GAG can barely string a sentence together. Go out with who you want.

What Girls Said 5

• Nothing wrong with that. I'm black and never dated a black man. I've only dated outside my race and I love it

• I am a black girl and I am not offended by it each to there own as long as you don't go running around saying you only date outside of your race and don't like black girls it ok cause it might be offensive to some girls

• Nothing at all. People are just bitter and ridiculous.

• There is no problem a person is the same on the inside God just made us all different

• it's not a big deal.

What Guys Said 3

• Its your preference bro. However I must admit, I am amazed at how much importance people put on something as insignificant as skin color. A beautiful women is a beautiful women regardless of skin color.

Anyway it's your life not mines nor your family, so you date whoever makes you happy. You're preference for light skinned people will only become a problem if you were to go out of your way to treat black women as inferior or less valuable due to their complexion.

• its only a big deal to the butthurt. If you aren't attracted to dark skin women, that's within your right. Personally, I've found beauty in every race of women, though I don't tend to pursue black women anymore... and i generally don't get hassled for it. You absolutely do not and should not date black women because your family is forcing you to lol. And by the way, you don't really need to explain yourself to us either. As long as you are being considerate towards the people around you, you have my blessing. Do you boo

• it's just yer preference bro... nothing bad ;)