Has anyone else ever looked up a mental disorder and been like, "oh! Ya... I didn't have a word for it, but that's it. I totally have that..."?

Ooh! Shiny!

• All the flippin' time!
  • Once or twice...
  • No but i know somebody who has/should...

Most Helpful Girl

• No.

Although, when I was in nursing school doing my mental health rotation, I was learning about various mental illnesses as well as doing a clinical placement in early psychosis/first episode schizophrenia. I remember thinking that a lot of my patients reminded me of my younger brother, to the point where I discussed it with my mom.

Not long after, my mom received a phone call from my brother (he had moved across the country) from a mental health hospital. He had went to visit a doctor for something else, but the doctor thought he was acting weird, so he sent him to the psych hospital where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

His symptoms that I noticed weren't the obvious ones that people associate with schizophrenia; they had to do with some strange speech patterns I noticed. At first I had thought that he was just being weird, or maybe that he was high (he smoked pot and possibly used other drugs).

What Girls Said 2

• Haha. We have that tendency to diagnose ourselves :D
    I remember when I'm taking Abnormal Psychology, every time we discussed about disorders all of us we're like "Oh God that's so me." Lol

• You could do that all day long on GaG...

What Guys Said 7

• All the time!

• Try actually working in a hospital or care home.. you'll be thinking you may have this types of symptoms or diseases all the time.

• I thought I had ADD, Depression, Bipolarism, Schizophrenia and Anxiety at various times in my life simply because the descriptions of those disorders online are so vague. I went to a psychiatrist and they treated me for depression and then took me off the drugs like 3 weeks later for some reason, they didn't explain.

• Be aware of what is known as the 'universal diagnosis'. Many psych manuals describe what everyone has at one time or another, including ADD bipolar. Their sole purpose is to support the cottage industry known as mental health, where you'll end up spending thousands of dollars in useless medication and therapy.

• I know what's wrong with me. I may even need psychological counseling, but it's a different matter.

• Of course, I have all the mental diseases.

• Go get some meds

• I did... They didn't work...

• I work in a federally regulated profession, and can't smoke weed regardless of which state I live in so long as I keep this line of work... 😔

• Bummer