Should he pay on dates?

I've just started seeing this guy and all the other guys I have ever dated (except one) have always paid the first few dates if not beyond and I would get the tip or dessert somewhere else or popcorn at movies etc... but he paid the majority of our dates. This new guy... well we went out for coffee and I was first in line and ordered my coffee and he didn't step up to pay so I did - but I thought maybe he didn't see I was paying at first. He did pay for our movies but he's taking me for dinner tomorrow and I don't feel I need to pay for my portion - but wondering where he stands on it. I get the feeling he doesn't mind me paying... but a girl is courted and she can contribute in small ways.

What are your thoughts - should the guy pay mostly and the girl help out with tips or dessert or take turns paying?

• Yes - He should pay mostly
  • No - Dutch
  • Depends - she can pay at times and he pays other times

Most Helpful Guy

• You have a job? Pay for your own way. Equality and all that shit.

What Guys Said 5

• Whoever asks the other out on the dates, regardless of gender, should be the ones to pay. At least until a relationship is established. Once that happens, they should either pay for their own meals, pay for each other's meals, or take turns paying for both meals.

• This isn't 1940 and you're not living at home until your dad marries you off to an eligible bachelor. The first date is first introductions, and whoever invited should pay, but your sense of entitlement is unjustified. You should expect to have to pay and be glad when you don't.

• each their own

• Flying that feminist flag.

• in my opinion they should take turns.

What Girls Said 7

• I do not believe in gender stereotypes. I'm a gender equalist and feel that it is NOT the job of the man to pay. I say when it doubt, Dutch-it-out.

• Eeeeee he didn't pay his own even at first? Did you ask him out or did he ask you out?

• He paid his own and I paid mine... I'm thinking it was maybe an oversight cause he paid for the movie tickets on our last date... and I got our coffee later. I'm just old fashioned and he asked me out all dates

• He asked so he should pay. Paying for the date is a way of saying thank you for giving me the chance to get to know you better and giving me your time. It's okay for you pay token expenses, but all of it is a sign of possible problems down the road.

• whoever asks for the date should pay...

• Guys dont have to pay everytime ladies.

• ehhh to be honest i think whoever invites should pay, i never understood why should he pay if i invited him then i will gladly pay, however here in the arab countries men really insist on paying it is like a tradition or so, they always insist so much on paying , and they never let the girl pay, i find it really sweet and caring (gentlemen)

• No, I think they should take turns.

• yeah he should.