How soon do you usually introduce your boyfriend or girlfriend to your parents?

just a random thought question.

Most Helpful Girl

• I usually wait until I know we are serious about each other. No sense getting my parents attached to a guy if its only short term.

What Guys Said 17

• Well, I've never had a girlfriend, but if I did, I would immediately introduce her to my parents.

My parents still ask me when I'm going to get a girlfriend, because they're excited the day I'll introduce her to them. Oh well... lol

• awww you'll get one soon are you talking to anyone

• @Asker THANK YOU! Why would I make this up? If anything, I would make up a lie saying I've slept with 100 girls, like every other male liar does.

Anyway, I appreciate your praise! Honestly, you're probably one of the nicest girls in their 20's I've spoke to. You're always so positive and never have a bad word to say. Plus, you always ask the most interesting questions.

• exactly I understand hun. still awesome regardless. thank you that's so sweet, I am human I do make mistakes but I apologize for those if I can. I try to ask different questions.

• I was divorced Jan 14 of 2014. I tried to date but really wasn't ready. eventually I waited until Jan of this year to date
    I met someone on Feb 16. We are meeting my sister and parents today for dinner so she can meet them. I have a family wedding we are going to next week. So this way she has a few friendly faces in case things get a little overwhelming. My ex wife was really overwhelmed by the size of my family. Although the woman i am with now comes from a much larger family then my ex.
    I told my sister, after our 2nd date, that if she doesn't dump me I am going to marry her. ...

• awww really how'd you know so quickly

• I have already been there. I met my ex wife Jan 10, 1989, went into the Air Force Feb 14, 1989 (valentine's day), came home May 27 and proposed. We lasted 25yrs and 4 days. she wanted the divorce, not me. When you know the person it the right one you just know.
      When I found out my ex had been cheating (she told me) at the end of the marriage, I freaked out. I started to date because, stupidly, my thought was "I'll show her". Well when someone never loved you, you can't "show" them anything. I was SO not ready to date. I burned through women very quick. But with my ex wife it was so fast. we saw each other every single day for a month. I never had a girlfriend before. I only went on dates with 5 women before meeting my ex. so I only know super fast. but i learned from every women. but I realized I wasn't ready and stopped from June until December. So the best I did was a couple of weeks (7 dates). But when I knew I was ready to date, I found someone right.

• that's awesome hun I'm happy for you

• I'm ok as soon as she & I are in boyfriend / girlfriend status :)

• Well, I think my parents would notice the change in my behaviour fairly quickly.
    And I'm not good in playing games so I guess, if she'd agree, no more than a few weeks. Oh goodness, I'd looooooove to be able to do that :D

• awwww that's cute

• Thanks! Oh yeah I'll eventually run into a nice, single girl who feels butterflies when she stands besides me :D
      If it happens we'll ask you for coffee!

• lol awww ok you can have some for me to.

• Once I am sure of the relationship then I will introduce them to the girl, but I would probably tell them about her fairly soon after starting to date/be in a relationship with her. So a couple of months to a year max maybe?

• I never got why anybody would want someone to meet their parents... "Hey, here's all what's gonna be wrong in another couple of decades... Ya, I know he's long-winded and inconsiderate as he'll... I don't know why he does that around people *either*, maybe he forgot that we could see him? Ya, he says that'll happen more and more as you get older... *siiigh*

• i'm kinda shy 2 do this... :/

is it needed?

• I wait until I've been seeing a girl for about a year before introducing her to family members, give or take a month or so.

• is she understanding about the year time?

• Some women can handle it, others it is a problem for.

To me, until I know I'm serious about a girl, I'm not making those kind of introductions. Putting a waiting period on things also serves as a good technique to filter girls out of consideration, among other things.

• I can understand that, good way to put it

• If i feel like its going somewhere, I'll be ready introduce her. But i won't introduce her until she asks me to. That way i know she is ready too.

• Well it's usually a surprise. I say look mom I brought a present :)

• My ex girlfriends all met my mom like a week or so after we
    were officially dating..

• did her opinion of her change your opinion of her

• aww, I'm sorry hugs

• Haha. It happened the other way around for me.

• After a couple of hours

• I think when u both are really committed and are in hope of marriage... then u both can meet each other's parents

• Whenever it's convenient!

• I was going to tell my parents about my girlfriend after 3-4 months, but instead I told them about my ex.

• what did they say

• They seemed excited at first, but didn't realize I said "had" and then they changed their tune to find all the negatives about her. Anyway I didn't care about what my parents think about my potential gfs. Maybe its more a girl thing to get approval from parents.

• I don't care myself I'm In charge of my happiness not them

• When she asks to meet them, I'll introduce her. It's usually a few months.

What Girls Said 17

• My boyfriend met my parents before we were dating. But he officially met my dad after a month or so.
    I met his parents a similar sort of time but his parents live in a different country. If I hadn't met them then the first time I would have met them would have been 4 months later and living with them for a week. Soooooo... I was terrified when I met his parents.

• ahhhhh yikes that would be scary

• Ayeee. I met them in June so about a month after we had started dating. And then I stayed with them for a week in November for his mums birthday. I can't go in the summer time because I'm allergic to mosquitos. I try to be in the coldest or most sealed places I can in summer.

• ahhhhh I hate mosquitoes

• After a month or so of official dating. My dad always wants to meet my boyfriends >_<

• None of my exes ever met my parents. Didn't need to for me. My family doesn't have the "meet the boyfriend/girlfriend" thing going. We're more of "date who you want and don't introduce them to us unless it's necessary" kind of thing. It would be too many people to meet if we did introduce our partners to our parents considering I ended up with a lot of siblings (some of us are adopted). The closest our partners get is meeting one or two of the siblings at most if they are lucky.

• I understand and aww that's sweet they adopted

• How is that sweet? XD it ended up with them mixing up our names half the time. We were originally a family of 16 kids. You get mixed up sometimes.

• I'm sorry

• I wait a few months.

• I'm not ever making my boyfriend meet my parents, they're annoying and I wouldn't put him through that lol

• thry can be sometimes but it happens

• oh hmmm I could understand that

• Yeah, it's a little bit of a weird situation lol

• I think I would wait for like 6 months 😁

• umm this is hard for me being daddy's girl, it's rare when he approves. I usually wait 3-4 months to introduce him to my mother and then like a month later to my father ahahah

• Once I realize that the relationship is going to last awhile and it's like legit then it's the right time.

• normally i introduce a guy once i start to feel like the relationship is becoming serious, mostly because I want my family to know and like the guy i'm with, and then because then I'm subtly letting them know that the relationship is serious :)

• Best to wait a year. Just in case something happens and y'all break up.

• I can see that

• In the past I used to be bad about that. It's awful when it feels like you just told ur parents about the guy and then have to tell them that you ended up breaking up with them. :(

• completely get that been there

• If I think it's serious. Some they never met, my now husband met my parents a month into our relationship.

• Right away if I was legit interested in them.

• I introduce a boyfriend when i feel i like him as friend. Which doesn't mean he is in the friend zone its important to me that the people in my. life like the person I'm with.

• She's know before I had the chance to tell her.

• Probably never but if I was able to I would as soon as we are serious about each other.

• I would say in about 3 months time

• 5th date I think