Why are men still expected to pay for dates by the VAST MAJORITY OF WOMEN?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2014-why-men-still-paying-142808202.html

Feminists fight for equality and then expect men to pay for dates. People say it is a preference and I disagree. Society definitely pressures us into paying for the date

Most Helpful Girl

• Feminists fight for equality rights as men from an economic stand point and do not want to be viewed as less then or incapable.
    I would like to be paid the same as a man, vote, if I choose too have sex liberally and not be view as a slut and males as " the lady's man" "Pimpin ' " Playa" etc I would like the same job and school opportunity's etc that to me defines feminist breaking free from the oppression of basic human rights please study history we have come along way as women. Paying for a women's meal is a sign that you can provide for a woman that you can take care of her basic needs it is to court her why else do we date? to find a mate to ideally marry. Women bare children and carry the most risk of staying home with the child the child is more dependent on the mother if breast feeding if ever she was harmed during pregnancy and cannot work whom will provide? if the child had special needs who is decided to stay home while the other works? If you had many children who would you prefer to stay home and raise them? This all stems from paying the Old fashion jester of a meal this is what it use to mean. I can provide and take care of you. The more men think the way you do why should I have too? Is why family dynamics are they way they are men that leave their wives and children and don't give a shit and woman that want to take charge on a power trip while reaping in the benefits of being taken care of. Its all fucked up. But don't give up there are a few out there just like a few men willing to pay for my meal and Ill gladly let him take the lead.

• Most households in america are comprised of single parents, so the women end up taking care of the kids anyway, same goes for single fathers. Men should not be expected to take care of you. When half of the workforce is now women. Part of the pay gap is not allowing men to stay at home and take care of the kids, which is why we need parental leave

• It amazes me how you can say I am cheap. When the vast majority of women don't pay for meals. How is she not cheap? Women don't tend to ever ask in general, the statistics are above you?

• that is why i listed them

What Girls Said 8

• Maybe some women expect that, but I sure as hell don't. I have literally begged my boyfriend to let me pay and he says that the man's job, like excuse me, just cuz I am in college and don't have a job right now dont mean I can't pay for us to have a nice night out. I have been able to sneak it a couple of times when he wasn't paying attention and one time he also let me pay for the movies, but I guess it's really nice of him that he likes to spend his money on me. But sometimes it's not just the girl, it's the guy. I also saw a similar thing at a restaurant not too long ago. This guy and girl where out and when the check came she was digging in her purse and he was already handing the waitress his card, and she was like hey I thought we agreed that I would pay! So you know, maybe it's guys fault, it's like they do it to feel manly or whatever. I know when I pay it hurts my bfs manliness for some unkown reason.

• Because so many women want to have their cake and eat it too. Feminism isn't about equality anymore either, you know.

• Yes, men do pay for vast majoirty of women for dates but many of the women that still expect this aren't usually feminists since that would completely contradict their movement/ideology. It's typically conservative women that still expect this.

• Societal expectations die hard.
    I've ALWAYS thought half the things that are expected of men is stupid, though, including having to pay for dates. You're a woman with your own dang money, not a dependent fetus. Split the dang bill.

• Cuz it shows that's the guy is interested in her and cares about her. It means your more masculine and can take care of a woman ;) and it's just polite

• Why is the man expected to take the initiative? and is that not by definition sexist?

• This is it. It's because the guy respects the woman and women in general.

• @Anon1999

why is respect contingent on paying for the date?

• Umm, I disagree with men paying for dates and I am a feminist. I think both should take turns in paying.

• Why are women still expected to cook, iron, look after the kids, wash, et etc when most of the time she is working too

• That is an issue of paid parental leave. Men are expected to be the bread winners. 50 shades of grey comes to mind. So if you are okay with your man earning less as he stays at home with the kids and takes care of them then then you should not be doing any of that. Are you okay with it?

• I just don't see why some guys whine about this so much, it's not a big deal paying for one date especially if you like the girl an want to impress her. I wouldn't call myself a feminist but I do think that women can be bread winners and do the jobs that men can, however, the woman is still a woman and should be respected and wooed in the dating scene of a guy really wants her. In turn, if she gets serious with him, I totally believe in cooking for the guy among other things to show you care for him. I don't know I Guess I'm in the middle lol

• If two people are working then both are the breawinner. I don't think a woman views a man less attractive for any chores, it's called, teamwork. You are digging yourself a hole. You still haven't answered my question. I can't see any intelligent reasoning behind your views so i won't be debating with you. You are contradicting yourself with each answer you give.

• I think whoever asks the person on a date should be the one to pay. But personally I think at some point, slitting the bill is the better solution

• I guess the real question is also, why are men expected to take the initiative them?

• @doireallyneedone

Then feminists fight for everything you just said but men paying for the first date

• @Person100 Outside of the arena of dating, which I agree with favoured towards women (especially in a Western Society). There isn't another area of life where women dominate men that I can think of. Unless you can think of one? I'm not pro or against feminism. But in my opinion, things are relatively equal between men and women these days.

What Guys Said 13

• It's because we have a schism at the moment, a paradigm shift. The sexist bunch still expect sexist things, while the non-sexist bunch choose not to keep with the sexist traditions.

Unfortunately, it takes time for people to grow up and stop seeing males as a potential wallet, especially when they link romanticism to it, like the girl I disagreed with above.

• Feminists have never been about actual equality, it's always been one-sided. I can't believe people are still surprised by this.

• Paying for a date or two isn't a big deal. Especially as its usually just the first few and then ends up being dutch anyway (in my case). And especially if I'm the breadwinner (which I am).

• i believe it shuld b equal in our days

• because they should, I think guys are using this increase in feminism as a excuse not pay

• It's just gender roles it's not a big deal.

• Sit down, have your dinner, then tell her she goes home and fucks you or you walk out of the restaurant. It 's perfectly legal.

• cuz guys gotta do the work to get the girl. and girls as long as they have a beating heart beat and a vagina they can get laid... paying for the dinner is their way of saying thanks for the opptunity. i think hosently women use us for free food.

• Gender roles aren't completely abolished but there are tons of women who will pay for the date.

• Bcz most of us do pay for dates and we are expected to be financially stable so...

• Actually society is moving towards guys not paying for dates. I'm personally sick of hearing guys complaining about girls rejecting them, having to pay for dates and not wanting to approach a woman for a date but rather the woman approach the man. Then they turn around complain the woman didn't have sex with them fast enough or it was too fast. Guys seriously need to grow a pair now a days and stop acting like pushover spineless individuals.

• Well I've never paid for a girl on a date (well except when her card didn't work) - maybe that's why I've only had one second date...

• http://oi57.tinypic.com/33msnbc.jpg because they only want equal rights when it benefits them.