Are most girls not interested in dating because they think they're too good for most guys?

It seems like no one dates at my college. There are hookups that happen, and some relationships form, but the vast majority of people never date or have SOs. Most guys I know want a girlfriend. But most of them don't have much luck with girls, the girls they like usually blow them off or reject them flat out. My question has always been, who do these girls want to date, then? How is it that 75% of guys could be unworthy of any girl. Maybe it just seems this way from my perspective, so I'm curious to read girls' input on the matter.

Ok, anyone who resorts to name-calling is going to get blocked. I'm trying to engage in a meaningful debate, and I'm not interested in playing the dozens. Keep things civil or don't post.
It seems like a lot of the answers focus on girls being more into school and not interested in dating, which I find odd. Girls can seemingly juggle every activity and do it with a smile, but dating is just too big of a burden to take on. It's lame that people scoff at the concept of dating but talk with great fascination about hook ups.

11

Most Helpful Girl

• It's true what they say that some girls really are focusing on education. Especially if you attend a more prestigious university. Juggle activities is no problem. You can schedule everything and can put it off whenever you crunched on time. Dating takes a lot more effort and you have to invest a lot of time and EMOTIONS into it. Especially if you want to do it right. Sometimes it can be a huge distraction.

Another reason could be, girls have wayy to high superficial standards. Or the guys go for the really attractive girls mostly and don't pay attention to 75% percent of the other girls.

That's all I can think of atm

• I do think standards are high--too high--on both sides of the gender divide. Women seem to want a laundry-list guy, and men all want the same 50 or so girls. It's silly. No one wins when guys and girls perpetually stare at each other from across the dance floor but never dance.

I still don't buy the "not enough time" argument, though it seems to be popular. Do girls really think they're going to have tons of time for dating when they're knee-deep in that medical residency? We make time for what's important, all else gets abandoned. I think the Sex and the City philosophy is more prevalent than ever, that girls need their friends and not much else to have a fulfilling social life.

• I've had a tough academic load in college studying geophysics, so I understand time requirements and how they damage our social lives. That said, I did always find the time to do the things I want. I go to the gym, hang out with the friends who matter, and try to meet girls. But, like most of my friends, I'm not in the top 10% of guys that the girls seem to really want, so it's a pretty long road trying to get anywhere with girls. From my perspective, there are a lot of frustrated and lonely people at my college, even though most of them put on this face like they're conquering the world.

I think college is meant to be stressful, but it shouldn't be a prison sentence. If you find yourself giving up important parts of your life for the sake of school, you're doing it wrong.

Thanks so much for the discussion.

• No problem ~

What Girls Said 10

• No. Most girls are not interested in dating because of either:

1) They focus on priorities such as school, work, family, etc and want to get their life on track without any distractions

OR

2) They see most guys as immature pricks (usually not far off from the truth).

OR both.

• "2) They see most guys as immature pricks (usually not far off from the truth)."

Ok, this I understand. There are tons of asshole guys around who try to prey on girls. Then again, there are girls who do the same to guys. If I were to opine that my two experiences with despicable girls can be extrapolated to all girls, would you agree with that notion? I think that a lot of girls get hurt by one or two players and then make the mistake of writing off all guys as worthless. Believe it or not, there are worthwhile guys in college. Not all of us are insincere and manipulative.

• It's sad to me that girls see school, career, extracurriculars, making money, and maintaining friendships as important activities, but they see finding a life partner as a frivolity that's best deferred to some future date. It's no wonder I don't understand the politics of dating.

• There are a TON of guys who think the exact same way, but you're missing the point. It's not that just dont want to altogether it's just that there is no need to at that time. Why get in a relationship that could set you back when you can establish yourself then find a serious partner that isn't going to pull you back or at least have a steady situation so if they do, you're still alright. It honestly sounds to me like you're mad you can't get a girl. If a person doesn't want to date you, that's your choice. Another person's life shouldn't be your concern. There are plenty of girls who don't care about their studies much or do just want to date. Just let people do them. A lot of college relationships end up bad and the girl (or guy) end up screwed because they invested too much time in a non priority at the time.

• I doubt most girls think that. College isn't a time where many people want to make long term relationships anyway.

• Why not? In prior days, most people who went to college met their future spouses there, hence the term, "MRS degree."

• Again, you show your stupidity. You should focus on more than why a bunch of guys--who I am betting are considered generally unattractive by the women at your college--aren't getting girlfriends and that would be your irrationality and dumb-assumptions.

God, I feel SO sorry for many men today... lol.

• You only paint yourself as a vile person by resorting to name calling. For a person who calls herself "RationalLioness," you're awfully emotional.

• Don't you think that the girls your friends were into simply were not interested in them? Also they're are few relationships at your college possibly because everyone has very high standards and is going for the most attractive people vs people in the range. Another reason could be because of the behavior of the girls I'm assuming all the guys want a nice girl a girl that doesn't sleep around or party till they become a hot mess and not too many of those girls fit that ideal so once again they are aiming for a type of girl that is not very common to them. But this is all pure assumption I'd have to be at your college to get a better idea.

• Well I don't think there is one answer for that. There are certainly many reasons why girls don't want to date or not want to date the guys that approach them in particular. Maybe they are just not interested in dating, the guy is not her type, he could be using bad pick up lines, she could have a boyfriend already, etc

• well, all girls are different. some only want boys some only want education. some think they are too good and some think they are not good enough, personally i think girls need to find a variable , and some girls can get busy all

• Maybe they want to focus on getting their degree instead of possibly becoming pregnant or contract an std.

• i dont think they think their too goo, i thinkmaybe their just not ready for commitment?

• Okay, thank you for your input.

• No, they probly just picky

• Speaking as a girl who doesn't date, my guess would be because girls are sick of getting hurt. The guys we have dated in the past have been the bad guys who screw you over. A girl will never think of a guy being unworthy of her.

If anything I worry about not being enough or good enough for the guy, so why bother dating only to have it end and find out that Im not enough?

• Guys get hurt too, though. We would be castigated if we labeled all girls as likely abusers just based on the actions of the few girls who harmed us.

• I frequently get told im too serious about relationships and stuff, I dont see the point in starting something if it isn't going to go anywhere. I see your point, but apparently it will happen when you "meet the right person"

• Ok, thanks for your input.

• for the most part, yeah.