Agree or Disagree: Men should always pay for dates (not just the first date but every date) no matter what?

If this was the 1910s-1950s when women had little rights and little to no opportunities to independently make a source of income for themselvses while men were pretty much expected to pamper and baby women, then I would have agree with this. Now that women are now finally given far more job opportunities and all sorts, then I disagree with it for today's era and could careless of what a very few self-entitled, proclaimed "strong and independent" women would say about it. If they expect me to pay every single thing for them while they have a job to support themselves, then don't expect me to be happy being in a relationship with you or expect that the relationship will last anywhere near long.

• Agree.
  • Disagree

Most Helpful Girl

• Disagree. While chivalry will always be appreciated, men deserve to be treated nicely, too. I'm happy to treat my guy every other time we go out or split the bill if it was an expensive activity/dinner. If he insists on paying, I'll let him because I know he'll feel great about it, and because it does feel good to be looked after.

For you ladies who truly believe the guy has to pay EVERY time, think of it this way: you treating him occasionally means a better chance of him getting you presents since he won't be broke from always paying for both of you, lol. ;) But, more importantly, don't you want to treat your guy well and make him feel appreciated, rather than expecting him to pay for literally everything and then getting offended when he eventually complains about it?

What Girls Said 7

• I think whoever asks the person out should pay on the first date and so on till you are actually in a relationship. Once you're in a relationship I feel like it should be a back and forth kind of thing sometimes one person pay sometimes the other does. I don't feel like either partner should "mooch" off the other.

• I agree. It's funny how I see a lot of men and women in today's era using the "tradition" as their reason for men always pay everything for women. They forgot that during the "traditional" era (when chivalry was such a big deal), Slavery was socially and legally acceptable along with all sorts of discrimination towards people who don't meet the social norm of how an American should look like, live his/her live and what an American should or should not believe.

• @Maverickj and the asker
      Girls are still taught from a very young age that the man should approach first. There's no real way to stop it, however, many woman are stepping up to the plate. We are still stuck in the woman are frail creatures and men are the protector and should step up to the plate. Just like many other things these "traditions" aren't going to fade anytime soon.

• @Opinion Owner. I know. That's why I say it's the old school traditionalists people with no valid argument to their beliefs during this day and age are the reasons why men are still socially expected to pay everything for women.

• Split the bill like the adults you are.
    That's old stuff, women have jobs and money now a days too.

• Guys shouldn't be only person paying. . I can pay too

• I Disagree

• Disagree, the guy should pay for the first date. Maybe the second if he really wants to pay, but I'd like to at least share the cost

• Here's how I look at this; who ever approached and initiated the date first (and insisted the restaurant if his/her selection), should be the one to pay the first date.

• Oh I see, didn't think about that.
      Honestly I prefer share the cost

• I just found it normal that the guy pays for the first date

• I mean if your in a relationship he can pay if he's that guy but go half and half. Sometimes she'll pay

• It doesn't matter to me

What Guys Said 4

• Hahahaha no way. I would happily pay for the first date, and maybe, MAYBE, if I connect perfectly with the girl, I pay for the second one, but the next dates is gonna be 50-50, split the bill.
    If I were a millionaire I'll pay for every date, but I'm not.

• Even if I were I millionaire, I feel like I'd be setting up a bad example for younger men and women because that just shows them that with that amount of money, they can let the other person mooch off of another like mooching off of welfare.

• Well, I'd do it if I knew the girl is not with me just for the money, I won't let anyone suck my money. But as a millionaire I could get many girls pretty easily, so I don't know if I'll even try being in a relationship, it hasn't worked now that I'm not a millionaire either xD

• Definetely not... its very traditional

• Disagree. This is a sexist tradition that has no place in modern society. in my opinion the one who invites the other should pay. Only problem is that men are generally expected to make the first move, so they still end up paying 99% of the time. The solution? Have women ask men out as well. Equality in dating achieved.

• Ironically, the "tradition" argument that old school men and women use as their reason for this issue is so outdated that even slavery and blatant discrimination based on race and many other factors were socially and legally acceptable as a part of the old school "tradition" culture when it was socially important.

• I agree and disagree at the same time, I disagree if the woman don't have a job or a source of money and maybe agree if she does