Why do so many perfectly healthy people in their 20s and 30s say they are "old" or "getting old"? I thought these were supposed to be our prime years?

And how do they cope when they are actually old and their bodies start deteriorating? Do they then fall into depression and misery for the last years of their life?

Most Helpful Girl

• Ugh it's annoying
    I heard a girl complaining about being 22 yesterday
    I think they don't realise it and don't really think about things in that perspective
    I was speaking to a woman who was turning 50 and she was saying how she needs to start staying home more and not travelling cut her hair short because of her age, which I thought was silly
    Ageing is hard for some people and in your 20'd and 30's when everyone's settling down a lot can change in just a few years so it can be daunting sometimes

• Yes I understand ageing may be hard but these people aren't even ageing like I said they are perfectly healthy, fit and young looking. So why on earth would they be saying they are old?

What Guys Said 5

• I think it's more psychosocial and we are taught to say those things. People say stuff like "Oh I can't do this any more because I am already... years old". They may be 28 but they make themselves in their mind this way. And then other people of the same age also say this because "that is what you do at that age". It makes no sense to me.

On the other hand I notice that people that don't say those things never really seem to age no matter how old they are.

• I'm 32 years old, I wanna a screw an 18 yr old. Reason being is that no women touched me in my 20's or teens and infant to feel that. Call it my "sex bucket list" do you think I could do this at my age?

• Woah shit, in the context of this answer, "infant" doesn't look good (typo), it was "I want"

• I'm almost 20 I should start settling down I'm getting old I can't bend my knees for to long and have to use viagra

• Old is a relative term contrasted against your environment. On this website, I often feel very old.

• well when you are young anything sounds old. At 52, 30 and 40 look quite young

What Girls Said 3

• I'm almost 46. When I hear a younger person acting like they are totally decrepit like that I roll my eyes and call them names lol. Complaining is immature.

• They are aging rapidly. Health problems maybe? Or bad genes.

• this is a youth obsessed generation the ideas that your younger years is the time of your life is a lot more propagated also were a childish selfish generation.