Girls, do some of you feel more comfortable starting off as friends before dating a guy?

I've noticed that the large majority of women that I've dated had started off as friendships first, eventually leading into something more. Do most girls prefer a friendship first with a guy first? If yes, why?

17

Most Helpful Girl

• I can see pros and cons. It's nice if the relationship is based on friendship, because you'll have the foundation of basic respect and care for each other's well being, and you skip past the awkward getting-to-know-you phase. On the other hand, if it goes south, the friendship could be ruined. I haven't had a relationship at all, so I can't say what I'd prefer.

What Girls Said 16

• Yes definitely.
    Every relationship that started off by a random guy asking me out and me saying yes ended awkwardly and I never felt comfortable. Be friends until you're really comfortable together, preferably when it's not awkward to hang out just one on one. Then most people will know if they want things to go further

• Yes it just feels more natural to me. Dating is stressful and annoying enough - I don't really like going on dates because it feels forced and unnatural. I like being friends first because eventually things just fall into place.

• I've had both but most started as a friendship before. I think I like it better that way because you get to really know the person. You are less likely to wake up one day and wonder how you even got together.

The way people (not only guys) act with their friends/ as a friend tell a lot on the personnality.

• Guys that I'm friends with an guys who I would actually date are very different to me so I think I'd prefer to go in knowing I had romantic feelings for this guy an not just a friendship an have someone who can be my best friend but is also someone i would date, have sex with, and be emotionally attached to. I don't know i dont like to mix guy friends and guys id date.

• Of course. I rarely like anyone romantically. Some basic similarities and sexual attraction just wouldn't do it for me. I need to feel close and connected to my partner first and friendship seems like the best way to start it. That being said, I'm not someone who is eager to jump into a relationship just for the sake of having a boyfriend,

• I know now that I would like that first. No expectations and you can really just be yourself around him and if he sticks around then you know there's gotta be more. But honestly I do act on my emotions impulsively so when I really feel something with a guy I don't have the willpower to just be friends first.

• All of my bf's have been my friends at one point, but it does make the breaking up process harder.. it's like you can't fully remove that person since they've been in your life for so long..

• I think yes because that way we've somewhat grown comfortable to you in a way as well as get to know your personality and habits or attitude.

• Yes that the best way to know each others little quirks before getting very serious.

• I was friends with my guy for 2.5 years.

• Yes so that I can be 100% comfortable around them. If we're friends at first, I'll feel more confident in being myself whereas shy if I know we both like each other. it's weird i know

• i personally do because i will feel more comfortable

• i think so.. lol I have never dated anyone that started off as my friend, i haven't really seriously dated anyone, but when i come in contact with a guy its normally based on sexual attraction... But maybe i will try to date a guy friend (if i ever get one)

• it's nice but it usually ends up not working out

• Yes. Its better. You can get to know each other a little before pressure is put on and maybe you couldn't decide at first if you wanted to date but that time as friends helped you.

• For me guys I date and consider friends only don't mix