Are guys supposed to pay everything when dating?

I don't know how the rules are these days. What I know is guys are supposed to pay, and that's what I did once. But recently I heard that my friend always split the bill. Which one is true?

Most Helpful Girl

• Paying the whole bill would be more chivalrous, but some girls, like myself, would feel guilty for letting you pay the whole bill. Then, even if you told me "order whatever you want. It's on me" I probably still wouldn't order the most expensive thing on the menu otherwise I'd feel guilty. It depends on the girl and where you're eating.

What Girls Said 4

• Whoever does the asking does the paying. In a relationship, y'all can sort that out (like one person buys one day and the other the next).

• No. I don't agree with that. I think its better to split the bill or take each other out so that it evens out.

• Both. Sometimes the guy pays. Sometimes they split it.

• I think whoever asks who on the date should pay.

What Guys Said 7

• I was always told by my dad and brother that men should pay the full bill at first. But after a few dates he can continue to pay full or half the bill.
    I payed for me and my ex girlfriend fully for dates until I asked her if she would like to pay some for the dates. She didn't mind at all.

• A guy with old school values will pay for the dates up until he knows if he wants to be exclusive with the girl. I personally wouldn't want to date a girl make her pay for herself and then up marrying her. I don't feel like that would be the example I would want to leave for any future children I may have.

• Totally agree with:
    "I was always told by my dad and brother that men should pay the full bill at first. But after a few dates he can continue to pay full or half the bill."

And for those who say "the one who asks should pay": most of times it's always the man asking, cause women don't want to seem desperate and want to keep him wanting for more.

• hell naw, we live in da 21st century

• People are supposed to pay attention. How can you have a relationship if you're ignoring the other person?

• It's supposed to be half and half. A women needs to contribute to a relationship and that includes money

• People have this stupid idea that whoever asks pays. It's FAR more sensible to ALWAYS split the bill unless it's a really short notice thing or a surprise.

"Old-fashioned" guys who always pay are pandering to women. Please don't be one of those guys.