Guys, I broke up with him but now I want him back! Help?

Okay so this guy and I only dated for about three months but we were never really official girlfriend & boyfriend.. Two weeks ago (because it wasn't anything serious) I broke it off and said lets just be friends again instead since we just graduated High School and will be going to different colleges in August (I'm actually going to a military academy)... Needless to say he took it more harsh than I expected and now he isn't even talking to me. I didn't expect to upset him so much. I just didn't think what we had was practical but now I feel like I lost a best friends (we had been good friends before we started dating... Now it's been two weeks and I miss talking to him. How do I tell him I'd like to date again if it means we can talk again as long as we both understand that the "more than friend" relationship has to end when I go off to the academy in two months? Please help!!!

5

Most Helpful Guy

• I really don't think in this case that you can have your cake and eat it too. You have to consider his feelings on the matter. If he's not talking to you he wanted you for good, anything less is just painful and insulting. I've been the guy on this side, trust me, it hurts so much.

• Yeah I met for coffee with him today to apologize for the way i delt with everything when I said I just wanted to be friends ( tbh I was a real bitch about it and didn't handle letting him down very nicely). Anyway he accepted my apology and was appreciative that I was sorry but I hadn't realized until today how much he actually liked me and How much I actually hurt him. You were right I should have considered his feelings before hand. I think asking for his forgiveness and to get back together would be insulting and mean if I just put him through this again in two months

What Guys Said 4

• you dont. he wouldn't want you back just because you miss being his talking buddy and would much rather move on if it means he has to break up with you again if you only have a 2month time limit for dating him.

• Bringing him back into the fold just seems like it will be you sending mixed signals and leading him on. As one other user said, in this situation you can't have your cake and eat it too.

• you just have to talk to him. from what it sounds like he would like to talk about the situation rather than just end it. ask him about it and tell him how you feel and see where it goes from there

• Thank you. I got together with him for coffee to talk about everything and apologize yesterday. I hadn't realized how much he really liked me before our conversation which made me feel even worse about breaking it off with him. I thought it was more of a simple crush. We are talking again which makes me happy but I don't think we will be getting back together now that I know he really really likes me. I think it would be cruel of me to ask to be his girlfriend again but then just break it off again in two months and put him through this twice. 😬

• Why did you think what you had wasn't practical. Because you were going to separate colleges? People CAN make long distance work, if they really work on it. Just sounds like you're not. Why would you want to put yourself through that?

• It's not that we are just going to different colleges.. He's going to a college in Virginia were we live but I'm going to the Air Force Academy in Colorodo where we get all electonics taken away for the first 10 weeks... Having an 18 year old boy maintain a long distance relationship with someone he can even call on the phone or email while surrounded by thousands of other college girls is completely impractical. It would be different if we were in love and in a committed relationship but we aren't. We have only been dating for 3 months

• Just think it's stupid to break up over something like distance

• I suppose you are right