Guys, how many dates until you're considered dating/item?

Had 2 dates and a third coming up with a guy I really like. I've always thought, that to get to a stage of exclusivity in a relationship, he would ask to go steady--everyone's different I guess. However, I am very open to going about it differently (i. e. stumbling into a relationship through time.)
I'm wondering, is there a "magic number" of dates we have to go on before he asks?

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks :~)

11

Most Helpful Guy

• It's different for everyone, personally I think it's pretty serious after "hello".

What Guys Said 10

• In my eyes, I think you have the right to think that its not far away on becoming steady, but no there's no magic number. I have gone steady after the first date before with it lasting 2 years, x

• by the second date you'll know if you would want to date them, on the third I would certainly consider asking them to be my girlfriend. hope this helps!

• thank you! i really hope it will work out--3x the charm perhaps? :)

• No, there is no magic number (sorry to disappoint)... It depends on the chemistry between you two... You may date for a month and still would not be sure about the relationship or be head over heels for that guy on your 3rd-4th date (2 dates though are not enough, so there is a minimum at least)... So rather than forcing your relationship to become meaningful ("item"), enjoy the company of your date and let the magic sweep you away!!!

• I'd say after three dates, you should have an idea as to where it's going.

• I usually leave the decision to the girl I'm dating. Not because I'm in it for just the sex/company, it's just because I don't want to rush into it.

2 dates is too soon to me, you're still getting to know each other. There's no need to rush.

• I don't there is a magic number. For me, it has just been a mutual understanding that has always happened very early on.

• I would usually just leave it up to the girl to bring up. The point of ''the talk'' is usually to establish exclusivity and/or official titles, both of which usually are more important to the girl than to the guy

• whats an appropriate way to go about that conversation :s?

• Something like ''I enjoy your company and I'd like to see where this goes, so I'd like us to be exclusive. What do you think?''

• I think 3 is a good number

• For me it's not about the number of dates, it's about two things: our overall connection and our sexual status. If I connect with a girl, I'll start calling her my girlfriend right away. That said, I *never* commit to any girl before I've gotten the pussy. Sex is important to a relationship, and I won't go there until we tested each other out. If I haven't buried it, you're not my girlfriend, regardless how many dates we've been on.

• Since the third date is considered the sex date, I would think the third one but, that's just a rule of thumb. Question is, what's considered a "date" and how long in between each date, is acceptable? Nobody really knows

• we have not even held hands.. let alone physically connected enough for sex lol. we've just gone to simple places parks/art galleries etc. took about 3-4 weeks to create a second date bc we work a lot. hoping this third one actually takes us somewhere, though!
      thanks for the input :).

• then don't add an opinion next time lol?

• I can if I want to?