Do most people become obsessed with their boyfriend/girlfriend? To the point of being depressed if they can't see them?

I've noticed family members getting depressed when they make plans then their Sig other cancel. Is this normal or extreme? I understand being disappointed but not depressed. If I've never had a girlfriend could I easily get like this? Is this based on the individual or how many relationships you've been in?

Most Helpful Girl

• From a girl who is learning how to be in a relationship AND suffers from clinical depression, it really is based on an individual. I would say it's normal to be disappointed, but one should evaluate their self esteem if depression starts to overcome an individual based primarily on a relationship.
    I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months, long distance relationship, and this is my first relationship. Sure, it's tough to hear that he can't call, or won't be able to visit sometimes, but I find solace in the fact that he still makes time for me and I do the same for him. We are very much so in love with each other and are aware of our imperfections. We also have a clear definition of what being in a relationship entails. I can't guarantee our relationship will be forever, but I can tell you for certain that I cherish every moment I get to text/talk/see my boyfriend.
    It'a all about having a healthy relationship.

What Girls Said 3

• No, that's not healthy. To be disappointed and maybe a bit sad is normal. To be flat put depressed is not. Sounds more like a personality disorder to me.

• Sad yes but depressed is extreme. It is based on how strong the relationship (or the feeling you have for the person) is.

• I think it's normal, I don't think I'm "obsessed" but I get upset when I'd can't see my boyfriend

What Guys Said 1

• then they must REEEEALLY luv each other bro ;)