Boyfriend of 3 years and nothing for my birthday. What should I do?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over 3 years. In February , it was a busy month. In 10 days we had Valentine's Day, my 18th birthday (a big one), and our 3 year anniversary. With all the events, I tell him that instead of exchanging things for valentines day and our anniversary we should go out instead. This year he was away at college long distance, so a week before my birthday on valentines weekend I went down to visit him and celebrate for all the events. I told him during his winter break that I was going to see him that weekend to celebrate my birthday, so he knew. He said that he just couldn't think of anything. So he ended up getting me nothing making me feel unappreciated and a second thought. I told him how I felt and he said he would make it up when he got back from school. its 3 months later and it's a month after he's gotten back and still nothing. I don't want to upset him by bringing it up and making him feel bad. What should I do?

He usually gets me something, the last few times I've hinted at stuff. But this time i didn't because he was great at giving me gifts the times before. I told him that it hurt me not because I didn't get anything, I don't care if it's expensive just that he thought about me and cared, I love sentimental things. When I got nothing I felt like he didn't think about me at all. And that's what I told him. I also said that I would never do that to him and I think about things for him.
No he isn't broke.

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe he find himself in an impecunious position and is embarrassed to admit it to you. That happens often when one is in school. File that incident away as one isolated bit of evidence. Wait and see if it is contradicted by other evidence in the future or confirmed by future failings.

What Guys Said 5

• Dump him and don't let him know. Will he realize? You are not important enough to remember so it is his way of telling you, he just does not care. If you want to stick around then that is your business.

• was he broke maybe?

• He doesn't HAVE to give you stuff you know?

• Talk to him about it, most guys won't be angry about it.

• That's pretty shitty, I'd probably dump a girl who did that with my because I'd think she was a loser who didn't care.

What Girls Said 2

• Do you get him gifts for his events? If so maybe you should just say. You know I wanna keep this simple and not sound greedy. But I've noticed you've never gave me anything for my events like I give you for yours? Is there something wrong? My feeling are a little hurt but if there's a reason why then I would understand. I wanna know the truth so i don't think the wrong way.

• Did he wish you? Or ask you what you wanted to do?