Guys, what are the chances of you going out with your best girl friend if you have or had one?

My best guy friend and I are really close. We literally talk maybe 12 hrs a day or so and he said I am one of the most important girls to him outside of family. And he is the most important guy to me. And I developed a crush on him... so not important but I asked him if I said I liked you, what would you tell me. His reply: Nothing. And I said because you wouldn't like me and he said, no because we're friends. K this will sound really stupid but what do you think he means by that? And would you go out with your best friend or no because you like how the friendship is going. Two questions there. Can anyone answer?

6

Most Helpful Guy

• About myself: I would never want to go out with my best girl friend. She's a very sweet and cool person but she can also get on my nerves quite a bit. She has a condition called selective mutism and it can be very difficult to deal with it, even after 12 years of knowing her. The condition influences her a lot in terms of speech. Sometimes she has phases where she talks like a waterfall and can hardly listen to anything you are trying to tell her about your own life, and sometimes she's just completely silent for hours and you have to ask hundreds of questions and still just a get "yes" or "no". Also, when people with this condition feel angry or very sad or very uncomfortable in a situation, they are not able to communicate that, they just completely shut down and don't say anything anymore. They don't do it deliberately, it just sort of happens. So while I don't blame her for it, I still sometimes get pissed about it. My mom is a therapist and I have been taught excellent communication skills. Good communication is extremely important for me in a love relationship. When problems arise, I want to talk them out. I can't have girlfriend who just goes to stand-by mode when she has a problem with me. Also, I wouldn't want to date my best girl friend because she is 28 years old but completely without any dating or sexual experience whatsoever. She's never had a boyfriend, she's never kissed a guy, never had sex of course... I doubt she ever held hands with a guy. So, while I do find innocent girls cute, I can't deal with this kind of innocence. As a best friend it's fine but as a girlfriend it's too much. I don't want to teach her how to kiss or the very basics of being in a relationship at my age because that is what people usually learn in their teenage years.
    As for your situation: No, I wouldn't date your best friend if I was you. See, there is a very simple rule of thumb that is almost always true: friends can always become lovers, but lovers can never become friends. In other words: trying to be your friend's girlfriend is extremely risky. It might work for a while but once it doesn't work anymore, you'll lose him. I've experienced this myself. I had a best girl friend that I developed a crush on. It turned out she also had a crush on me and we became a couple. At first, it worked absolutely great but after a year she broke up with me cuz we didn't fit together and our awesome friend-relationship could never be revived. We fell apart. It wasn't worth it.

What Guys Said 5

• I'm currently in a relationship with my best friend and she and I have been in a committed relationship for a year and a half now. Having said that, you have to make sure that if you're going to ask your bestfriend or friend, they at least feel some sort of mutuality with you. It's not always easy to spot because you've been friends for a while, but if you think that it has a chance of working out, then you should go for it. However, if it doesn't work out at all, you not only lose him as your boyfriend, but also as a friend as well and your relationship with him won't ever feel the same.

• My parents did that, and so did many of my relatives, so I think I'm biased.
    There is a very high probability that your friend likes you.

If I a girl best friend, I would probably be in love with her right before we could be considered best friends, then I'd wanna ask her out. What could be better than dating your best friend?

• i'd go out wid her if she asked :)

• but what do you think about him saying because we're friends. when i asked him if he would like me he said that. if you said that to your girl best friend, why would you have said that?

• Obviously he's seein u as afriend and nothing more

• It happened to me... A girl in my neighbour and I became a good friend... We almost texted everyday for 5 hours and after 8 months she developed a crush on me... I have a girlfriend so I didn't go out with her... She wanted to... It's been now 2 years she still wants me as a boyfriend...

• I've heard the girl you like, becomes your best friend, but, you don't actually date your girl best friend.