How can I stop being awkward?

I am 17 and very awkward. I am skinny but athletic. I am smart but not a nerd. I am very easygoing but shy. I am awkward around everyone, not just girls. I am not great at eye contact and not a great talker. It is preventing me from asking out my crush as well. She knows me and we are acquaintances and I am very nice but awkward at times. I am fidgety, not nervous and look awkward. I dress nice and people say I am attractive but again, awkward. I look like someone who loves indie bands but I am a hip hop head. Everything is a little odd and contributes to awkwardness. How can I get over this. It would help my life out a lot.

Most Helpful Girl

• find one person you can open up too, and make a really good effort to do so. then after you feel you have completely become comfortable with that person try it with one other person. I used to have this problem too.. Eventually if you do this you will eventually find it easier to talk with people without the awkward silences or tension. BUT it is important to realize that if you are trying to open up to someone and they disrespect you, bully you, or take advantage of you notice it early and stop talking to that person, dont look for more friendship than someone is willing/able to give..

this should help your social skills a lot.

What Girls Said 1

• Get out of your comfort zone. Start doing things you wouldn't normally do.

What Guys Said 3

• Stop being awkward. It's only awkward if you think it's awkward. And most things you'll say to these people won't matter enough to be truly awkward.

Then, practice talking with your crush, girls, and other people more. Just practice. Say whatever is on your mind, no filtering.

It'll be fun and eventually easy and you'll have a good time and then you WILL ask out your crush.

Good luck.

• ". I look like someone who loves indie bands but I am a hip hop head."<---- huh?

• I'm like that too.
    Apparently we just grow out of it.