Is it rude to ask a girl something like this?

if you meet a girl (or guy) you want to date, it's natural to want to ask them about their career ambitions and where they see themselves 10 years from now. but what if they have a job like working at mcdonald's and they already like 21 years of age? what big career plans could they have? they will probably have to say that they still be working the same job or they will 'go where life takes them' and your question would probably make them uncomfortable/down on themselves. so is it still ok to ask them such questions if they are 21-ish and have that kind of job?

Most Helpful Girl

• Even if they work at a fast food place, maybe they would like to be a manager? My brother did not want to work at the grocery store his whole life, he did it during his college years for extra money. He started as a stock boy, stocking shelves.

Well, he became a manager and soon district manager where he is making a lot of money. He stopped school since it wasn't for him and already has a good paying job (almost six figures) with benefits for him and his wife. He's only 26.

On the flip side, I could see how it might make some people uncomfortable. That or uncomfortable that they don't know what they want to do.

What Girls Said 7

• It can be considered kind of intrusive depending on the level of chemistry and how the connection is flowing so far.

There's also a misconception about people who 'work at McDonalds'. Depending on their schedules, working at McDonalds may have the most perks for them. McDonalds is a 24 hour facility so if they have class during the days, they can still get plenty of hours and get paid for overtime. You shouldn't be so judgmental.

• the mcdonalds was just an example. it could be anything considered as a 'part time job' like waitressing or selling clothes. i mean if they don't have college or anything else going on, they just work at mcdonalds (or something similar), and they're in their early twenties.

• hmmm depends on their situation and why they are choosing that route

• Just because someone doesn't have a great job doesn't mean that they don't have big career plans. For example, someone might want to become a lawyer or a teacher, but need to take a part time job whilst they're in education, so that they can stay at university and McDonalds would be a good option for them. I'd say that you should try not to judge someone on the job that they have and maybe leave it until the second date.

• Teehee. No. It's not rude. I met a guy (gay of course) who said that he wanted to make McDonald's his career. And I mean run a store and then move to corporate where he'd be making high salary positions.

I think many of them are simply working there because they have no option to pursue something else.

But that "where life takes them" bullshit shows either insecurity or lack of ambition: TWO red flags.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it but have a good way to change the conversation incase it does make them uncomfortable

• lol you're still 15. you have a lot of time to work towards a decent future i doubt you would know what it's like to be in that position

• She's standing up for me... why wouldn't I thank her?

• but who is she actually standing up to? i don't see anyone here who has attacked you in anyway?

• Most people dont know what they want to do. They have an idea of what they want to do but about 1/2 don't know. They'll just go with the next better opportunity they can get

• yes but at 21 you should definitely have a solid idea what your main career is gonna be. if you're working mcdonalds ( or something similar) at that age it means you've had no tertiary education or any skills you can utilize to bring in money so this is not so much about what you WANT to do, but what you can or in this case can't do

• I know people who work at mcdonalds not because they don't care about anything but instead because many people have too much pride to work there so getting a job was easy.
      Also your job doesn't mean your illiterate it just means this is where you work

• If you ask me about my career plans/goals it's not rude.

• Hell no this isn't a job interview. Life sucks as it is I don't need somebody judging my life.

Yeah my life sucks, minimum wage, no future but I want to be with someone who will make me forget about my crappy life for a while.
    And I'm 22 too.

I can understand if you're 30 because that's when you start to settle down and take life seriously.

I'm too young to worry about stuff like that now. So it would be a turn off if you ask

• so then i should only ask girls who are in college or already have good jobs. noted

• it's not meant as a type of job interview question by the way. its more like getting to know someone by asking what kind of job they could realisticly see themselves having. but now that you mention it, i should probably just ask that question to girls who seem driven

• Yes exactly

What Guys Said 6

• Why ask them about there job? You seem to already have all your judgements about them and their future already decided. We all take different paths in our lives, and judging someone by where they currently are is discounting what they have survived and what they might become. Don't do that! You will overlook too many great people that way!

• Don't bother asking. Move on to a man with more motivation in life.

• no im mean why are you saying move on to man did i sai i was gay?

• Oh, God!!! PLEASE forgive me!! I have no idea why, but when I went to answer, I had in my mind that it was a girl. I am SO sorry, dude!

• That is... touchy actually. It's not something you ask typically unless there's long-term outlook.

• Probably so.

• I'd think that was a box ticking exercise, like are you ambitious enough to become a businessman and make enough money to keep me? Na, I'd rather keep flippin' burgers thanks! lol

• good luck finding a girl with that attitude

• I don't flip burgers for a living so I can get a girlfriend, but most of them are hung up on money so they're just someone cool to hang out with and have nooky, the day I find one who's not as bothered about it as I am, is the day I find one I care about.

• You dont know anything about the real world, do you