How to be okay with dating someone because your family wants you to?

I defied a lot, but I almost always end up doing what my mom wants me to do. So, now I'm dating this guy that I think is attractive, but his personality is nothing like what I'm attracted to. And the personality has to be right for me to fall for a guy because physical attraction is not enough for me. My mom is happy, but I feel miserable. I feel like I'm stuck.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are an adult, and you cannot submit your entire life to your parents desires. Do not enter into a marriage you do not want. Neither you nor the young man will be happy if you marry him to please your mother. And do not waste this young man's time by continuing to date him when you know you do not want to marry him. Yes, your mother will be disappointed, and perhaps the young man as well. Or perhaps he is getting similar pressure from his family and will be relieved. It's your life. You only get one spin. Make yourself happy and let the others worry about themselves.

What Guys Said 3

• You don't. Dump him. It's ok. If your mom is upset, then she is upset, and there is nothing you can do about it. It's your life, and it's her job to make your life easier. If she selfishly wants you to date someone, then she is failing her job, and deserves to be made upset.

• She thinks that I'll grow to like him. Do you think that happens often?

• Well, in what way does his personality rub you the wrong way?

• Is mommy getting paid for this under the table or what exactly is her angle? It's your decision, if you don't like the guy, then that's all she wrote.

• She's happy that I have a boyfriend because I've never had one.

• Then you would have to have girl time with her and explain your situation.

• I think you should date for yourself

What Girls Said 2

• It never works out if you date someone for anyone other than yourself. No matter how much easier it makes things. Just end things and tell your mom your personalities weren't compatible.

• you should only date the guy you actually like and not the guy that your family wants for you