Why is online dating so weird?

I do pretty well with women in person so I don't put much effort into online dating, but I did take the time to make a good profile so I leave it out there. I get maybe 1 or 2 messages a month from women I'd definitely be interested in meeting.

The problem I'm running in to is that women seem to either not know how or not want to have a conversation. Typically what happens is the woman will message me, say hi, maybe give a compliment or ask a question. I'll reply, say hi, make a plaful joke, ask them a thoughtful question expanding on something interesting their profile. She'll respond back with something lame like "IDK, what about you?" or she end the conversation, if you can even call it that, with "oh yeah thats funny haha". Doesn't answer my question, doesn't ask me a question.

Is this typical of online dating? I talk to hot women all the time in person and even if they not interested in me romantically they are usually willing to chat for a few mins even if I just stopped them at the mall. What makes online dating so weird?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know about online dating specifically, but... one thing I realized is people who are very good at socializing and communicating in person tend to suck at it online/in writing, and people who are good in writing/online suck in person (or aren't AS good or AS talkative in person). All of my friends are outgoing in person, but when they email me it's short crap and they halfway respond... it's just offensive and not like how they are in person. I am the opposite--I barely talk in person, but I can write you a book.

Maybe you should try writing women back and asking for their number so you can have a brief phone conversation instead of trying to have written exchanges back and forth.

• That worked, thanks!

I've been reading books about personality types and what you say makes perfect sense. Really outgoing people can get bored messaging and texting easily. I need to remember that people usually aren't trying to be rude, they just think differently and therefore behave differently.

I teased her playfully (and very carefully lol) about her lame response and told her ill be out Saturday and she should come say hi. She gave me her number without me even asking for it. No time or placed scheduled yet but I told her I'd call her and we'd schedule a time then.

What Girls Said 3

• i feel you so much. online dating seems fun and addictive IF you found someone who really fun and attractive also. but sometimes online dating get worse when guys (for me) being jerk like ask for nude or sexy pics.

• just stick to in person ya?

• because its not natural.

What Guys Said 1

• Online date is soooo confusing bro, and feels really shady, I lost a bet and had to create an online dating account but tbh I actually gave it a shot but it was worthless a lot of girls just want to chat or are taking a break lol