Is a 6 year age difference bad?

Alright, so here's the deal, I'm 17, and I really like this guy who is 23. I know he also likes me.

Is that a bad age difference? And do our ages matter in the age difference?

• Yes, bad
  • Not bad
  • Other - please elaborate

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a basic rule of thumb for age differences. Take the age of the oldest person. Divide it by two. Then add 7. If the age of the youngest person is lower than that, then it might be weird.

In your case, (23/2)+7=18 (rounded down). It's just over the line.

But remember, this is all a rule of thumb. Do whatever makes you happy. It doesn't matter.

• ... I really don't get it... lower then what? The answer?

• By that, I mean that 18 is the youngest age for a 23 year old person to date. Since you're under 18, it's just over the limit. Don't worry too much though.

• Usually I keep a 5 year rule myself, But just... ugh lol

What Guys Said 9

• Well depending on where you live he may get into a lot of trouble. Like prison for a year and lifetime of being called a sex offender trouble. If your parents don't approve you shouldn't try to be with him because your parents can just throw the law at him if they wish.

• Theeeeeeey don't know about him, but legally it is ok

• Not bad at all. Just remember you're a minor yet and he's not.

• A bit of a stretch but could work.

• Until you're 18 that's bad.

• You should be 18-24 and then you can do whatever you want.

• Bad bad naughty naughty.

• you can't help who you fall in love with

• Yes, little bit, if you are 18, don't see any problem.

• no its not bad

What Girls Said 5

• When your age ends with the word "teen" you should more or less stick to dating people your around own age. As you go into your twenties and are working and socializing with a more varied age group then I think it is okay to start dating older people.

• 17 and 23? At least wait until you're 18.

12 and 18? Of course it's bad.

• Only a few months til I hit 18 anyway ^_^

• at this age, it might be a bit big of a gap... but when you're 23 and 29, the difference is much less noticible

• That's not bad at all :)

• Wait for sex until you're 18 because you're still not old enough to do that with him legally. Other than that, you can date and if you do have sex it honestly isn't a big deal-- unless you tell the government every move you make.