Does race play a role when you are dating someone?

Firstly I'm not trying to go racial people but I'm wondering when you say you are attracted to someone, do you consider their color or do you overlook that and you get attracted to the person inside not the color and besides if you do date outside your race do you consider what your family or friends would say about his or her color as unfortunately in this day and age some would disown you for going interracial

Most Helpful Guy

• This really shouldn't be an issue, but in this country it is sad that we can't get past our race issues. I have stories of my own and from people I know. Some good, some bad. I knew an Indian girl (from India) who fell in love with a White guy. It was double the pain for her because she was arranged to be married and her parents didn't want their kids dating outside of their race. She chose love and was disowned. That was 10 years ago and she still doesn't talk to her family and her sister has to sneak around to vist her.

I was dating this White girl for a good year. Everything was fine when her parents thought that we were just friends. They loved me. They said that I was the most respectful guy, and that I was so nice, and wished that there were more guys like me. That all changed when they found out we were a hell of a lot more than just friends. Everybody from her family and friends told her that she needs to think about her family and how weird it would be to add a Black man to the mix. And after all the praise her folks gave me, my girl told me that her mother said that you shouldn't date out your race unless the guy is rich. She held out for a while, but one day she says to me that she thinks she wants to marry a White guy. That was pretty much the end of the story.

As accepted interracial dating is, it is still just as widely not accepted. You have to do what is right for you. And if a guy outside your race makes you happy then you should be with him. Just because the two of you are happy doesn't mean that his family will welcome you with open arms. It doesn't mean that yours will either. But you can't live for your family, friends, or anyone else. You only have one life and you need to make the best of it. So be with whoever you want to be with.

What Guys Said 2

• Some people find certain races physically unattractive. It's dismissive and ignorant to label them racist because of it. It has nothing to do with society, social norms, regional concentrations, or anything else other than not finding that particular race physically appealing.

• In some cases I have a mate (who is white) and the only girlfriends he has every had have been of asian decent. People are diverse so of course race is an issue for some people, and some people just feel more comfortable dating in there own race. I don't really care.

What Girls Said 3

• Not for me. I'm "international" - I love men - all kinds of men of all kinds of ethnic and cultural backgrounds. I could care less about skin color - hmpf to me it's so low IQ and pathetic to limit yourself to a "race" - the only I limit myself to is the human one.

• if I am attracted to someone I can't help it. I can be attracted to guys of any race. now as far as who I would date and bring around my racist ass family and some friends that's a completely different story. I wouldn't get disowned, my fam and friends love me but if I am going to cross the color line it better damn well be worth it lol. I am not going to go through all that drama in my life just because I wanted to see what it was like, he would have to be a really special stand out guy. and also we would likely have culture differences too so it probably wouldn't happen.

• oh here we go again, another race question...i bet you're american. what is it with you americans and the race thing? why can't you just follow the british way - multicultural society where your friends/girlfriends/boyfriends are whatever race and noone looks twice or comments. and if they say anything, you'd get mobbed by the rest of society for being ignorant. anyway in answer to your question, race is not an issue for me or any of the people I associate with. there are plenty of good looking people out there, especially brazilians... hot hot hot!

• Thanx 4 the answr bt you didn't have to attack me lyc that no cat fight here and no offence bt there is no britishway there is more racial issues there than here in america and as you know america is the country of multicultural society

• Well, for a multicultural society, you lot sure do ask a lot of questions about inter-racial relationships, as if it's a problem. for the record, Great Britain definately has a lot less racial issues. I speak from experience of living in both london and new york.

• Well it's easy to say follow the British way. We don't have the same history. Considering our history and the fact that our country isn't that old, you shouldn't be surprised that we still have issues when it comes to race over here.