Is it bad that I wouldn't date a short man?

I'm 5'9" and I would strongly prefer a guy who is taller than me (ideally over 6ft). Is this a bad thing? I've been told that I'm shallow for this :/

• It's not a bad thing and you're not shallow
  • It is a bad thing and you are shallow

Most Helpful Girl

• No, everyone can have the preferences that want, and I don't think yours are unreasonable at all. It's not like you're 4'9 and only want someone who's 6'5 (which is fine too) you're just a little taller so a man must be even taller than that. Completely fair :)

What Guys Said 14

• Technically it is only shallow if height or his looks are all you care about. If you care about internal traits as well, shallow isn't a good description. I think it's okay to have those preferences. I have my preferences, many which I'm not willing to compromise.

• Yep ultimately my emotional connection with the guy is paramount.

• Well I've been told by others that I'm shallow for preferring tall guys

• Having physical preferences is a given. We all have them. Those people most likely felt insecure hearing your preference and acted in a defensive way.

• That's your preference and there's nothing wrong with it

• It's shallow, yes. But everyone is shallow to some degree.

Why do girls so desperately want a guy taller than them, anyway? What's the appeal?

• I don't feel womanly or feminine with a guy that's shorter than me. Plus I'm just generally more attracted to them.

• Height doesn't matter in masculinity or femininity.

I prefer girls who are as tall as me, or taller, but this expectation is making that exceedingly difficult to achieve.

• Not any more bad than the fact that I won't date a fat girl.

• I am a shorter man and have always been attracted to taller women. Sadly taller women don't generally prefer shorter men, however, its understandable why that is so.

• I'd feel very masculine beside a shorter man, I can't explain it. I wouldn't feel as womanly. Sorry..

• that's okay. You'd feel dominant, I'd feel submissive, generally speaking. i just think dominance can also be a feminine trait...

• @Pensive222 I feel the same way, dominant girls are really hard to find.

• Will I ever have a chance with a woman taller than me?

• Preferences! :D

• who told you it was a badthing? short guys?

• Yeah, lol.

• lol, they just hating. Go date your taller dudes. p. s. I hate cute 5'1-5'4 girls who say I'm too tall 6'2

• Its your preferences but if he is a cute guy then its a shallow mentality

• everybody has some psychical choices at her/his partner... this is very normal...

• For dating it´s shallow.
    But for a relationship its not

• Every women does that so its not that shallow.

• You are selfish yep..

• How is it selfish?

• You are depriving others n attracted to tallers? Remember all that glitters is not gold

• How can this not come off as shallow? If it were a guy saying he
    wouldn't date overweight women he'd be a jerk.

• Because he might not find overweight girls attractive? Being overweight isn't exactly a sign of health.

• I'm sure you have some physical preferences, no?

• Well I'm so ugly even ugly women ignore me.

What Girls Said 6

• I'm 5'9" as well and I wouldn't wanna date a short man either, I think it's nothing to to with shallow or even 'height discrimination' omg - It's simply a preference and if people have a problem with that, they should just shut up or leave.

• Exactly! Just because you don't fit my preference don't get mad at me..

• It's not all about the height, it might be an important factor but there are certainly more important things, so I wouldn't know why not :) @hypno_trip

• Nope, it's fine. :-))
    I only judge 5ft girls who only date 6ft guys, lmao.

• Nah, normal. Especially since you're tall for a chick.

• It's not bad to have a preference. But to say "I don't date short guys" would be a shallow statement. Because then your not even giving them a chance due to something they can't even control

• Yeah, it's not like I'd completely rule out a short guy, it's just that there's a low chance I'd want to date one based on initial attraction. I'm more attracted to taller guys

• And that's fine

• It's your personal preference, it doesn't make you shallow. But... If a cute guy who was sweet to you came along and you turned him down just because of his height, that is shallow.

• Yeah I would never do that, obviously if he was an amazing guy and we were really compatible the height would be irrelevant. It's just that physical attraction is initially important

• its not a bad thing its all about preference