Guys, What do "high standards" mean to you?

I've had people tell me my standards are too high. and one of my guy friends (who had wanted to date me) also told me mine were unrealistic of people. It's not that I don't have friends or guys I crush on so what to you guys would "high standards" be in a girl?

7

Most Helpful Guy

• It typically means you want a guy, that is out of your league. For instance if you are an average girl that will only date a guy that is hotter than 80% of other guys. Guys that hot are looking for women that are hotter than 80% of other women, and not worried about women that are average that are only hotter than 50% of women. Simply put the types of guys she wants can do better.

It can also mean that the positive traits you have won't be of value to the type of guy you want. For example a lot of women think being successful entitles her to a successful guy. It doesn't. A woman's success will typically only be valuable to unsuccessful men, where as successful men have their own success and see no value in the woman's success because it won't improve his life any. The poor man on the other hand would generally prefer a more successful woman, but those women tend to only go after guys she perceives as being her equal.

• So either these people are telling me I'm a fairly average person... or I'm not accepting certain guys as being my equal? Or am not of "value" to them? I just everyone isn't out of my league then...

• Oh okay I understand now. "Not the type of value" certain guys might appreciate. That's probably what my friend meant. I think he was also mad I wasn't attracted to him in that way.

... but I'm probably also guilty of not seeing some guys as my equal and then when I do it's too late. :(

Your analogy makes a lot of sense. I guess I wouldn't automatically demand a successful guy if I was but I would expect someone to be able to support themselves somewhat.

• If he is the only one that has ever said it then it could be that he was just angry, or perhaps sees his own value as higher than it is.

What Guys Said 6

• It depends on what she has to offer.

But, I think even a top-quality woman would find it hard to get her dream guy.

THink about, for example, 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. No male fantasy in any porn is quite as unrealistic as the female fantasy in that movie!

• Hahaha well, when you bring up 50 shades i guess i see your point. i don't need a dream guy but i do probably have a type...

• if u don't accept ANY flaws at all :p

• ah I definitely accept flaws because I have them too. I just like people I have things in common with though.

• not high-standards then... don't worry :)

• Ha oh okay thank you!:) I was kinda worried

• If a girl can not accept any flaws. If she thinks life is like it is in movies. That is pretty much what I think. If you want you can tell me some of your standards and I can tell you if men would consider them as too higher standard or if they are ok. I will not judge you just want to help you. :)

• Well wanting only really tall guys is one of them. Or guys that are just perfect without any flaws.

• It is okay to have high standards I think.

• :) I didn't realize I might until someone pointed it out

• If you want a guy that likes shopping or "feelings"