I'm afraid my dog is going to eat my boyfriend's cat?

My dog isn't used to cats. I'd like to take her with me to his place but I'm not sure how she will handle the cat?

she's 55 lbs and the breed was made to tree squirrlels and herd.

Most Helpful Guy

• Your boyfriend has a cat? I always think men with a cat are a little strange.

What Guys Said 3

• It's rare dogs would ever eat a cat... maybe bite the cat to death but not "eat"

• Let's hope not

• In all likelihood the cat will be a curiosity to the dog and the cat will probably try to scratch his eyes out based on what I've seen in those situations.

What Girls Said 5

• I'd be more concerned about your dog's natural instinct to herd other animals. A herding dog should have a job---they're bred to work. So if your dog doesn't have a job, she's probably inclined to find one---and what better job for a herding dog than to herd a cat.

I agree with @Prettygurl12 suggestion for getting your dog used to the cat. You may also need to teach your dog to not react intensely to stimulation as well though. For example, if the cat goes dashing across the room or whatever, you don't want the dog to go nipping at its heels. Simple commands such as sit and stay should do the trick for that.

• It'll be fine. Introduce them the way you'd introduce any animal pairing. Keep her on a leash, bring her in, put them in the same room, put them on different levels (dog on floor, cat on table) and let them sniff each other.

No eating will happen.

• I would say keep her on a leash, put a muzzle on her if she's acting aggressive at all as well. Don't feed them or give them treats around each other.

My dog hated cats and the first week was rough, I put her in the kennel and let my dog come see her and he started barking crazy and biting at the kennel. So I got a leash and made him calmly come sit next to the kennel and get used to being around her for a little, then when I took her out I made him wear a muzzle around her and made him sit and not go near her while she walked around the house and they got used to each other quickly and now they hang out all the time lol.

• Where did you get the muzzle? Boer smart does have them and gave me a bad look for asking.

• I got mine from Petco, I always have one for both of my dogs because one of them doesn't like other dogs on walks lol. There's no harm in using one just to be safe, it's better to be safe then risk another animal being hurt or your dog getting into trouble. The muzzle was only like $15 I think.

• Dogs don't eat cats. If she's crazy enough that you think she'd try to, she needs some discipline. Just keep her on a leash and make sure she knows you're in charge. Bring her into a room in which the cat is already. Have your boyfriend hold the cat in his lap and have it all calm and happy and slowly bring your dog in and slowly get them closer. If the cat runs, let it run but do NOT let the dog chase it. Ever. Just try again later.

• Just cover the cat with hot sauce, one of those really spicy salsas. Trust me, he won't come near it.