Would you date someone who has cheated before?

I recently started seeing this guy (its been about 2 months) and I asked him if he has ever cheated on a girl before. He was silent for a while and then he admitted he cheated on his last girlfriend. They dated for 4 years and he said he wasn't happy with her and that they were doing long distance so he cheated and he knew it was a mistake. Should I turst him? I feel very uneasy about everything now.

I decided I'm going to end things with him. 4 years was a lot of history for someone to risk by cheating on them. Maybe he won't do it again but I'm not going to wait around to find out. I just think if he was able to cross that line once, how can I be sure he won't do it again? It's only been 2 months and I already don't trust him because of this. I want to trust my boyfriend. Thanks for the differing opinions I've made my decision.

Most Helpful Girl

• in my opinion, if you're not happy, you leave, you don't cheat. Scumbags cheat and that's it, decent guys or girls, they'll talk to their partner and either work to improve the situation or leave. They dont lie to the partner and have a bit on the side. I've been unhappy in relationships before, and had orher guys right there who would of been willing to take over, but I never ever cheated, i either worked on it or left. Cheating is just a major disrespect.

• I agree I don't think it was a mistake he cheated. Cheating isn't a mistake its a sign of a major character flaw.

• Thanks for the help. I'm going to save myself the heartbreak.

• Good for you. I agree it does say something about a person's character if they cheat. I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to actually do something like that, especially after 4 years and not just in a semi casual relationship.

What Guys Said 4

• Nope "once a cheater always a cheater"

• I would give him a chance, if this relationship IS NOT a LDR, because if it is, he might make the same mistake again... maybe it's because of the LDR

Maybe he won't do it because he gets to see you more often

• He said they saw each other every 2 months.. what if lilke I wanted to go on a trip for a few months or something would he cheat on me then?

• No idea (I don't know that guy)
      but that's one trip, for the rest he gets to see you regularly
      every 2 months, is not much

• yes... so i can cheat on her so she knows how it feels like.

• no. they always cheat again. It is about the type of person they are.

What Girls Said 3

• My boyfriend was open with me about his past. And he cheated on his last girlfriend.

Why he did it didn't justify it. But it was something along the lines of his girlfriend was just using him for sex, his family life was in a mess, and his first love/ex went to his house and offered herself to him. Even though my boyfriend was still wrong for what he did, I did take in the facts of the situation, and I understand that he isn't a serial cheaters.

He felt genuine remorse, took the appropriate steps, and that mistake doesn't define him.

I've been with him for almost 11 months now and he's never come close to cheating on me. I've never felt like he would cheat on me, no little gut feelings. In fact, he's completely devoted to me, and I trust him.

Not every man who cheats is the same.

• hell no. i wouldn't even think about it.

• I know a guy who has cheated on girls multiple times. He goes through girls like underwear, and I don't even think he feels bad about it.

I also know another person who has cheated once and promised himself to never, ever, cheat again. It was a long term relationship and he was very upset with himself. He's currently engaged and is happier than ever.

It honestly depends on the person. Although nothing hurts more than being cheated on, some cheaters do feel guilt and won't cheat again. For others, it becomes a habit. The good thing about this guy is that he was honest with you about it (which is rather uncommon if they "plan" to cheat again). He seems like an okay guy, but it's up to you to trust him and be with him!