A survey found that women find 80% of men unattractive . Thoughts?

I guess all of the men on gag who post that women find them unattractive and they can't get a date no matter what they do isn't so far fetched after all. The remaining 20% have a great advantage of becoming players if they choose to be. its got to have some truth to it. here's the link

http://techcrunch.com/2009/11/18/okcupid-inbox-attractive/

Most Helpful Guy

• The data is interesting, but I think your conclusions about it aren't correct. Whereas the data does indicate that women, at first glance, tend to find men below average in the looks department, if you look at the data for women actually sending messages to men, you'll see that they tend to overlook or grow more comfortable in sending them messages.

You can find the whole story here:
    blog.okcupid.com/.../

• Women care about looks just as much as guys do. A tall guy is a physical attribute just like a girls legs or tits. Sorry pal. I've gotten far more girls talking to me and appraising me since I've packed on some muscle. Girls notice and care.

What Girls Said 13

• First, this isn't an academic study. OKCupid compiled data from their website and made some comments about what it might mean.

Here are a few things to consider about the data:
    1. OKCupid users may not be representative sample of people as a whole. Online dating may attract certain types of people and not others. Further, OKCupid users are not even representative of people who engage in online dating, since different websites may attract different types of people (OKCupid may attract different types of people from say, Match. com or PlentyOfFish).
    2. Within OKCupid, not all users rate other user's pictures. There may be a difference between people who rate and people who don't.
    3. I'm not sure if it's changed, but if you rated someone a 4 or 5 on OKCupid, it would send that person a notification that you rated them high. It's possible that women are more shy or insecure when it comes to letting other people know they think they're attractive, and so even if they found someone attractive, they would rate them lower.
    4. Some people may just use that feature to browse pictures, and so they don't rate in a way that reflects their views (either choosing the same rating for everyone, or choosing random ratings).

Basically, I don't think "Women find 80% of men unattractive" is accurate.

What's more, is for some reason, whenever guys talk about this "study", they conveniently ignore the rest of the findings. For example:

2/3 of male messages go to the top 1/3 of women.

cdn.okcimg.com/.../Male-Messaging-Curve.png

Whereas women are far more likely to message average or even below average guys:
    cdn.okcimg.com/.../Female-Messaging-Curve.png

If you want to make a generalization, it's that men care far more about physical appearance than women do, and thus, it isn't hopeless for "unattractive" men.

• "First, this isn't an academic study."
      Yes, but so what? Business enterprises are able to tease out data just as accurately, and often more so, than universities.

"1. OKCupid users may not be representative sample of people as a whole"
      Yes, but in his book, Dataclysm, Rudder points out that when you cull data from other dating websites (Match. com, Plentyoffish, Tinder) where women rate men, you get the same results. Women tended to rate men below average. Rudder then goes on to say that in studies done from non dating websites (Facebook and Twitter), when you show a random selection of profile pics to a random selection of women, they STILL tend to rate them below average. According to Rudder, you get the same out of kilter bell curve when a random selection of women rate a random selection of men's profile pics, no matter the website, and the same normal bell curve when a random selection of men rate a random selection of women's profile pics.

• @ManuelMarquez

You didn't provide a link to it so that I can look at it myself.

• Oh geez, let me go find it.

• In addition to this study not being reliable i also think it has to do with that many women are more attracted to personality. I may not find a guy physically attractive before talking to him, but if i find his personality attractive i might start noticing more physically that is attractive.

• What about the study do you find unreliable?

• Sure appearance is a factor of attraction but personality is a bigger/more effective factor.

• When it comes to online dating. people's looks are taken more into account unfortunately. Most good looking women only want good looking guys online and offline but the huge majority of average and below average looking women only respond to good looking guys online whereas in person if a guy in their league in person was interested there is a huge chance she would actually give him a chance.

• Don't be so dense. The human race would die out dick head.

• I think if you look at the other half of that data which is in Selfishstar's opinion, you'll find out why it doesn't.

• 1|0
  • I'm a sucker for a guy with game. If he's nice looking and has bomb social skills it's like ♡♡♡♡♡for me. Personality counts.

• Hmmm.. I would have to say that this is somewhat feasibly possible.

• "somewhat feasibly possible"
      This reminds me of a Churchill quote,

"“Decided only to be undecided, resolved to be irresolute, adamant for drift, solid for fluidity, all-powerful to be impotent. ”

• woah.. that is bad..

• I never take an OK Cupid study seriously. Most women on dating sites are picky I'm sure they have their reasons but this does not represent all women especially in the real world. What is the point that you are trying to make.

• Well there's too many guys out there who think the dating world is stacked against them. With so many guys saying that, there's got to be some truth to it. And its not just cupid. There's other studies out there and just because they aren't done by universities doesn't mean there just total B. S. Also women are super picky in real life also. I'm much more older than you and have more experience out here in this dating game and I know what Cupid is saying has a lot of truth to it.

• But that's the issue we say that and guys don't believe it so it doesn't go anywhere. What's attractive and what isn't is subjective any way and who is to say that other factors were the reasons why people reject each other. I find attractiveness in things beyond looks but I can't speak for anyone else.

• Sure but looks get you in the door and that's the only thing that's going to give a guy a chance to present his case that's he's a good confident guy.

• I'd say it's closer to 65% :)

• Really? Jeez women are picky...80% of men can't be THAT bad looking

• men are stupid so what do they expect

" 2/3 of all male messages going to the top 1/3 of women."

• That doesn't mean nothing since most women use facebook instagram dating sites etc just to boost their sagging egos.

• Even when most average and below average looking guys message women in their league or below their league most women, regardless how the woman looks like only responds back to good looking guys.

• It's true, but we still like them and fall in love. Nearly all my friends are in or have been in long relationships with guys they didn't like for their looks. They just get to know them then really like them.

• I find much less than 20% of guys attractive to be honest
    So sounds legit

• Yep that's why players exist... because they are in high demand and why not take advantage of that? Its funny how women will try to tell guys who know that its their looks that's keeping them dateless that its all about personality and confidence... It's only about that if a guy is physically appealing

What Guys Said 20

• I don't care, honestly.

As others have said, okcupid isn't a great representation of males OR females.

Also, personal tastes do vary a decent amount from one person to the next. Even if the 20/100 thing were true, that 20 could be quite different from woman to woman.

• Well I have tons of women who say otherwise and that's all the statistics I need lol.

And no offense to the OKCupid users but they are not really the best representation of society or people in general.

• "And no offense to the OKCupid users but they are not really the best representation of society or people in general."

Except that the data has been repeated on many other internet sites, including non dating ones.

• What about the methodology for gathering the data that the asker mentions do you find "horsecrap?"

• @Bluemax methodology is fine but I know for a fact the statistics themselves are wrong.

• Actually, women are more tolerant in variation of appearance than men.

• true story... though they are quite intolerant with some other things with which men are okay.

• I find this study completely bullshit

• Realistic. I would like to see the faces they rated as unattractive though.
    But I've observed this too. A lot of men don't take care of themselves, they wear unappealing clothes , etc.

• That's just based on looks, though.

• read this myTake, his interpretation is logical and unbiased.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a8397-do-women-only-find-20-of-men-attractive

• The article pointed out that OKCupid used the terminology "most attractive" and "least attractive." Less attractive is a relative concept, it does not mean "not attractive."

The article also went on to show that women are significantly more willing than men to engage with people that ranked lower on the scale of attractiveness.

That said, you probably find the majority of women you meet on a random day unattractive to some degree. I know I do... I have standards, after all.

• I am not surprised if this figure is accurate looks on a guy aren't really important and most guys are well bros lol
    We don't need looks we need success passion and confidence to attract a woman

On a physical level few men are beautiful and attractive to most females also females don't understand male aesthetic and the male body

• This is kind of interesting, I've had girls say that most men are simply not physically attractive, and that they only become attracted to the majority of men after getting to know them. As in they are funny, confident, have money, they are smart, they have a good body.

• even if this study is 100% accurate, it's nothing new in fact it's the same for guys. i personally find less than 10% of women attractive and would only date women who are part of than less than 10%. but not everyone can get people who are attractive to them so it's not like you're screwed when it comes to dating.

• For the hundredth time... looks doesn't matter when it comes to guys.

• Looks are just cover of a book...

And every one knows this bloody quote...

"YOU can't A BOOK BY ITS COVER."

• What i know is im a part of 20%.

• I'm not surprised I always knew the ''high'' ratings I sometimes
    get on here were bull crap.

• Yes they find most of us "below average" but they date most of us anyway.

• The 20 percent who have advantage of becoming players are Middle-Eastern and Black guys !!

• It could be possible looking at my college classes maybe 30-50 students in each class maybe 2-3 hot girls rest are average or below. So maybe 15-25% of girls are attractive to me.

• The author's first conclusion probably has some validity to it. It was my first thought too.

"My first guess was that there was an issue with self-selection here (i. e. unattractive men congregate on the site for whatever reason)."

Good looking guys with game don't need to go to dating websites.

• There is a lot of truth to it, but a lot of the reason the average guy isn't considered attractive from what I've noticed is that they don't dress well enough and they don't actively maintain their appearance. I barely put in an effort and the difference in reactions from women between a little effort and no effort is shocking. I never used to get noticed but now I have at least 5 women at work who I know have a crush on me. My advice is to visit the occasional thrift store to buy nice, stylish shirts on the cheap.