Is a guy supposed to take care of a girl financially when they're just bf/gf?

I had a buddy who apparantly would pay for a bunch of his girlfriends expenses. I know her paid for her car payment which was like $400/month and i'm not totally sure what else. I thought you only do that kind of thing if you were married? They did live together, but they were only dating for like a year so it made me wonder how long he had been doing that. Of course living together I would think you would split the rent and all the living expenses, but I would think everything else would be separate. I just thought you still stay pretty independent when having a girlfriend or boyfriend.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are no real rules to finances when you're boyfriend and girlfriend. If the two were living together, that's a bit more serious then say, they went on a few dinner dates. In this economy a lot more people are living together to save money by sharing rent, food, bills, cars, what have you. If your buddies girlfriend is pressuring him to pay all her bills without some mutual or equal help on her end, there may be an issue there, but regardless, if your buddy wants to help her pay for stuff then its his money, he worked for it, and he can do what he wants with it. If he's complaining to you about it, then again, there may be a problem, but if he's like, no I like doing it, or we share stuff together, then let them be.

If you feel like as a single person, you don't want any financial obligation to your girlfriend then of course, its your money, and you can make those choices.

What Girls Said 3

• You don't have to, but its a big plus to us having someone else help pay for bills and things like that.

• If corse It's a big plus lmao goldiggers.. Id only do that if I knew she was the one

• No unless she's just going through a tough time and your helping her, she can pay for herself

• I would have to say it depends on the relationship, I personally wouldn't expect anyone I was in a relationship/living with to pay for my bills but that could just be me lol.

What Guys Said 4

• Kind of. In a relationship, both tend to support each other. should one be financially weak, the other always helps out.

• It's optional at that point.

• I think your buddy is either: rich or desperate or stupid (no offense) or any combination of those.

You don't have any financial obligation towards women in 2015. They work as well.

• haha. I agree. He definitely wasn't rich.

• A guy has no financial obligations to a girl