Would you date someone with a mental illness. I personally have struggled with depressed and have attemped suicide a couple times. I also self harm. ?

would you date someone with a mental illness. i personally have struggled with depressed and have attemped suicide a couple times. i also have some almost but not quite invisible scars from self harming. I have been wondering how many people would be open to dating someone with a mental illness and how many people are closed minded to it and why. I know people on both sides who are totally opened minded to it and people who are totally close minded to it.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I would not.
    You should talk to a professional about your depression before it's too late.

• I do talk to a professional and have been getting help. Can I ask why you wouldn't?

• That's good! keep it up, it will get better!

I wouldn't because it's just too much too handle, for example what if we have to break up and I'm afraid you'll hurt yourself because I'm no longer there. I'd have to constantly overthink things to make sure you don't take anything the wrong way. So overall I'd feel restricted, and you don't want to feel like that in a relationship.

If she got better, and doesn't self harm anymore and I can see how happy she is then of course I'd date her.

What Guys Said 8

• Yes you have to be open minded and make allowances for it

• I would not. Relationships are enough work as is without having additional struggles added on.

• First off I dont think people who say no are close minded. Dating someone like you is work. I am sorry but it is. Many people do not have the strength to do it, that is not thier fault. Myself, yes. I have dated someone exactly like you and I would again. Love knows no bounds in my opinion.

• As long as she isn't suicidal or anything, and is getting help for it, then yes I would if I liked her enough.

• Yeah. I would.

That pain and depression? It's so fucking hot. I'd stare into your eyes while we were fucking and see it all, and it'd turn me on.

The scars are just a bonus, really.

• Of course. Everyone deals with their own stuff, I would never, ever reject someone because they were struggling with a mental illness. I'd want to help them through it, rather than make them feel like they don't deserve love.

• I would date someone with a mental illness.

• no, mental illness doesn't exist

What Girls Said 5

• How can you be focusing on someone being in love with you if you don't even love yourself? It would destroy the relationship before it could even go anywhere... even if the guys was willing to be with you.

• Don't u need someone to be your rock!

• Personally I wouldn't especially if the person is suicidal. Not that it's the mental illness but because when I'm in a relationship I'm truly committed and I'm also a fixer. Even if it's not my fault and you self harmed or killed yourself I'd feel guilty and I'd hold it for the rest of my life. Of course with depression it's not about me but because I couldn't make you stop I'd feel guilty I'd be with someone with mental illness as long as there was no self harm suicide violence or hurting other people.

• Ya I would. I'm struggling through suicidal thoughts and self harm. So of course I would

• I would if I liked them a lot. I'd want to make them happy. But I don't know how it would be if they become too depressed to work or do anything. Though I'd be scared he would kill himself one day.