Guys, why do you date a woman for a long time, but never propose?

I have never understood why couples who have been together for say 5 plus years, who live together, who maybe have children, don't get married especially if neither have had any previous divorce. I would consider that to be, as they say, "playing house." If you are committed to a person, you live with them, you have kids with them, it seems to me the next logical step would be marriage. One does not need a giant wedding to get married, you can go to the courthouse, so the excuse of, but a wedding is expensive in my eyes, really isn't an obstacle as some people put forth as reasoning. I think after five years with someone, if you are still "confused" or "unsure" then you really just shouldn't be together. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• Getting married can change people. Some people try to be someone they are not. The pressure of being married can be a burden on a lot of people. Some would rather stay together with the same person for life but not get married. Why mess with something that's working very well.

• I don't understand why it would be a burden to get married in my example, and if marriage changes you into something you're not, then maybe you were never the person you said you were in the first place.

• Some people don't like the feeling of where it's kind of a trapped feeling. You both know you aren't going anywhere but it still feels like a burden. It's hard to explain. If everything is going well and both are fine with the scenario there is no need to get married.

What Guys Said 4

• There are many reasons that can be the case. My parents weren't married legally although they even wore bands because they both had businesses that would have made taxes etc a nightmare. Just because two aren't married doesn't mean they are confused or unsure.

• Because marriage is a waste of time and embarrassing.

• ... I'm probably too young to understand marriage, but love isn't a piece of paper

• Marriage doesn't equal commitment.

Staying together equals commitment. A marriage license is just a piece of paper stating that the poorer of the two partners gets to take the richer one's assets if they breakup. There really isn't a reason to marry for such a retarded reason.

What Girls Said 0