Is there a polite way to turn a guy down?

Friday afternoons after work I always take my 70lb boxer down to our favorite dog park by the beach. Well last Friday I had a stage 4 cling on who would not leave me alone! He followed me and Rex around for about 45 minutes as our dogs played together, which happens at the dog park sometimes. Then Rex and another dog got a bit too rough (I'm pretty good at controlling my big dog despite the fact that I'm petite at 5'1, 120lbs) and this guy (with good intentions) runs over and grabs my dog. I don't know why exactly, but this really pissed me off. As I was turning to walk away, he asked me for my number. I immediately pulled out my phone and decided to take his instead, and just as soon as I got into the car, deleted it.

I feel horrible about it. Is there anyway to tell someone you're not interested without being rude?

• Damned if I do, damned if I don't?
  • Yes, there is a polite way - if so please share

Most Helpful Guy

• omg... seems like he grabbed yer dog BY FORCE... and asked u for yer #? is this guy for real? u did well by deletin his #, and u were VERY polite... just forget it ;)

• I mean a big dog sometimes needs some force, but I'm his mommy and should be doing the forcing (maybe that's why it pissed me off so much)

What Guys Said 5

• Can always go with the "I have a boyfriend" line.

I don't see what's wrong with it.

• Tell him you appreciate the courage that it took to approach you but that you aren't interested.

• Tell him you are not interested. If this hurts him he is oversensitive.

• Just tell them you're not interested in dating and why

• In situations like these it's perfectly fine to say "no thanks". That's what the guy was expecting anyway.

What Girls Said 3

• I would just tell him you aren't dating right now. That's what I do, and it's true; I am just not ready to date at current. I have too much on my plate with work and family (and other issues), that I am not in that mind set... ie not ready to date.

If that's the same case for you, just say it. It's the truth and hopefully he'll appreciate the honesty.

• Yeah you say "Thanks and I am flattered, but I'd prefer not to give it out."

• No polite way to.