What is your definition of "in love"?

What is your definition of of being "in love" with someone as opposed to just "loving" them?

Most Helpful Girl

• There are different types/levels of love. These include what you feel for your friends, extended family (cousins, aunts, uncles), siblings, parents, etc. The closer the person is to you, the stronger the love you have for them. There's the love that you have for your children. Many people claim to be "in love" with their children. This love tends to be one of the strongest you will ever have. They are a part of you. If something bad were to happen to them, you would be devastated. Many relationships break when bad things happen to children because of the level of love the parent (s) have for them. It would feel like your heart is literally ripped from your body. Your children are your life. Then, there's the level of love one feels for their significant other. This tends to also be described as being "in love". This person is not born from you, but they are also a part of you. This person is one who is on your mind, in your heart and in your soul. This love is comparable to the love that you have for your children. You can't imagine your life without this person in it (in some way) every day. Of course, you are not always together every day, but this person is still there with you on the inside. This sometimes gets confused by women's feelings for a new guy in their life. It's not the same feeling. It doesn't even compare. That guy can make you feel good with the things he says and does that makes you happy and excited. The newness is exciting and you want him around you. If that new man were to walk away or something bad were to happen to him, it would be upsetting, but you would get over it. You wouldn't be totally devastated. You would move on. When you are falling "in love" with someone, it's somewhere between this phase of newness and being completely in love with the man. When you are "in love", you will know it. You won't have to question it. You will feel it. It will be like a lightbulb has just gone off. The new, fun and exciting feelings are replaced. It's not just in your head, it's in your heart and soul as well. This is the closest person to you. This is your best friend and your lover. This person has every part of you. The reason why the divorce rate is so high is because people THINK they are in love with their significant other, but they aren't. Sure, they can love the person, but it isn't true love. If you can knowingly hurt that person in any way, you are not in love with them.

What Guys Said 5

• Love, the way i experience it:

- Investment: knowing that by investing time and effort will yield a positive return (as much time and effort you put into this person, they will return it in other ways where you need it, that's right my love is no charity (unless your my dog)).

- Trust, understanding and confinement: Everyone needs this type of "unconditional" love whether it be from god, their parents or their SO. It's so nice to know that even after a crabby day... someone is there that loves you and cares about your "first world problems." Everyone has their weak moments and during those times.. a person who believes in you and encourages you is so very helpful.

- Sex: skeet skeet skeet. Sad, depressed, happy or stuck in traffic? This makes life better.

- Accountability: Many of us who are single often slack. In a Relationship... your SO knows every movement you make, decisions your weakness and strengths. If the relationship is healthy.. knowing that if you skip the gym that day, or don't go after the interview... there is someone who will hold you accountable and that is awesome. This isn't exactly "love" but more of benefit of relationships.

• When every thought in my head is bent on her, and I look forward to time spent together with every fiber of my being. And, of course, when the time is right. Well, that'd be me, at least.

• I don't differentiate.

• I've never felt it, so I couldn't say.

• More consumed

What Girls Said 5

• I think when you truly love someone, and you're in love, there is an irrationality to it. You would take a bullet for them, you'd wake up for them at 4am to take them to the airport, you'd forgive them unconditionally---things you would do for no other. You need them much the way you need air to breath because they are so ingrained as a part of your life and even your being. Loving someone is more surface. Its that intense infatuation, maybe even obsession with someone, but it doesn't really go anywhere because what is behind it is all surface. There is always an out, a ways to go, someone else waiting for you, you aren't invested in the long term or as emotionally as you are with someone you're in love with.

• I think people who don't return the 'I love you', instead saying they 'love you but aren't IN love with you' just say that as a cop-out.

Hence why I'm still so scared to tell my boyfriend that I love him, after 1.5 years together. Hearing nothing or that classic cop-out would be like a major slap in the face.
    Till then, ignorance is bliss. :P

• Alright my definition of being in love is that you trust that person you feel safe and comfortable around that person you get butterflies and your heart flutters or even little things like quotes about relationships that you see on facebook they instantly pop up into your head or just a song like I don't know sugar and you think awes that reminds me of him/her, just little things will make you smile because they can never do anything to piss you off or make you sad.

Now for just loving someone its just the connection, like a best friend connection compared to boyfriend connection. The feelings are different yeah they make you happy and you love them and you care for them but your tummy doesn't get twisted in knots and all that good stuff. You will bend over backwards for them but you really won't be affectionate towards them like you would a boyfriend/S/O.

The feelings are different than each other

• They are the same to me.

• In my opinion, "in love" is a in the moment kind of thing, when you think the person is perfect. To love someone is to know their differences and imperfections and still love them just the way they are. That's my opinion.