Is there any reason to date, if you never want to get married?

Just asking because a guy I know has boasted several times to me, on his facebook, and to his other friends that he never plans on getting married.. he recently started "dating" someone apparently. We used to hook up, but he does not want to now that he is seeing someone.

Is there really a point to monogamous dating if you never intend to get married?

He's always said he loves being single because he can do whatever he wants.

Most Helpful Guy

• Implying that marriage is the ultimate goal of all relationships.
    It's entirely possible to have either short term or long term relationships with an emotional connection without the aspiration of marriage.

I'd like a committed, life partner, but the idea of marriage does not appeal to me.

What Guys Said 4

• Yeah of course there is; I don't want to get married and neither does my SO, but we'll be living together

• yeah... if both don't wanna marry, y should it b bad?

• Yeh many people don't get married but have very happy and successful relationships

• I don't see why have a relationship if it is just going to end anyway eventually though. If you plan on living together for the rest of your life, then why not get married?

• Some people don't its personal preference. High % of marriage ends in divorce so it doesn't mean its more likely to last any longer just because they get married.

• It depends on how you both feel, are you two looking for sex or is Love what you seek?

What Girls Said 2

• Yes, because marriage isn't for everyone. I'm not sure why so many people idolize marriage like it's the end goal for a relationship. It's ok to not be married and be in a happy, monogamous relationship.

• He implied he always wanted to stay single though. I guess that's what confuses me.

• Yeah.. he's being monogamous to this girl though apparently.

• lol not sure then, he sounds confused or maybe he found a girl who changed his mind about things, never know :)

• Sometimes people come into your life and change your outlook on life. If this girl has an affect on him and he feels he has found the one and doesn't ever want to be without her he may consider marriage