Guys would you be brave enough to test a woman you just met by going dutch ( taking her to McDonald's for example) on a first date?

I would. Would you? Or are you so desperate for female attention that you would be afraid to? If a woman turns her nose up at that, then she's not worth even being with. Its not about being cheap , its about having some appreciation. Its the thought that counts right? I'm not a jerk its just that there shouldn't be no expectations right?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's creepy if someone who I'd never met before wanted to take me out to a fancy restaurant. If we were both 30+ and coworkers then that would be different, but for my age group I'd think it was strange. IDC if I had to pay for myself. I'd like not worrying whether he was creepy or not (like stalking/controlling).

• Why do so many people hat mcdonalds? I would want to get takeout instead of eating inside since it's filled with kids, but it's not that bad.

• @Floyd790 I agree. Heck, take me to Chili's if he wants to eat out. I love their food and it's inexpensive. The plate I get there is only $10. I am actually a pretty frugal person and can't stand wasting money. It's not about the money; it's about the effort and thought.

• thanks for Mho.

What Girls Said 17

• I would honestly be more offended that a guy felt like he needed to test me before he felt I was worthy of a decent dinner. This is why I always pay for myself, to prevent wackos with chips on their shoulders from thinking I have ulterior motives, like eating at a food place that won't give me diabetes lol.

Why don't you just let her pay for herself and you two go to a decent sit down restaurant with some good food. I would rather pay for myself, like I always do and go somewhere, where the food isn't going to kill me. And if he was short on money that week I wouldn't mind paying for him as well.

• yes exactly!! why would you ever test someone on a first date when they have given you NO prior reason too...

• If by impression you mean his time, him being polite, sharing thoughts and conversation with me then I will take that because I will also give that as well.

If you mean impression by which restaurant we go to then I don't care about that shit and never have, which is why I said I would just pay for my half and let's go somewhere decent and fun instead.

• I agre I pay for him too

• Are you freakin kidding me? I think I just threw up after reading this because of how stupid it sounds. McDonalds is an abomination, it's not even a place you should even CONSIDER for a date. Any guy who's willing to test a complete stranger without really getting to know her first is a real jerk. I don't care what you say, it's real mean. It's like a slap in the face to say I'm not even worth a cheeseburger from the dollar menu. Don't date if you feel this way. Sounds like this person has a bad taste in their mouth and shouldn't be dating.

• "It's like a slap in the face to say I'm not even worth a cheeseburger from the dollar menu."

I the @Asker is getting at why can't a date just be about getting to know each other/spend time together without the need to demonstrate that the guy has the wealth to buy her stuff.

• @Bysshe taking someone to a public place like McDonald's of all places is not a very good place to get to know someone. What about a walk in the park? It's free and you'll get to know someone and be at peace with nature around you. Really, it's more of just lack of imagination and creativity here. Anybody in their right mind would be put off by someone taking them to McDonald's.

• @crystalt70 I feel like a lot of guys are trying to find an excuse to call us ungrateful by asking us questions like this and almost expect us to rant. It's stupid... nobody in their sane mind would be OK with this. I don't expect a five star restaurant, but at least show me that you made an effort. You made some good points.

• I've had a date where we hopped a fence and snuck into a drive-in theatre for free, another one where we went hiking and then just enjoyed to view from the top of the peak, another one where we just went to a park and played in the playground like kids, and a guy even took me cliff jumping and swimming too. All of them were free and they were easily the best dates I've ever been on. I agree that there shouldn't be expectations, but only when it comes to things like making the guy pay, having to go to a fancy restaurant, or even having sexual expectations of someone. I still think some thought should be put into the date though and both people should have a say about what they'd be doing.
    A perfect example of a date from hell would be a guy not even caring enough to let me have a say in the evening and taking me to McDonald's where I couldn't even eat anything on the menu. First dates are awkward enough, having to sit there sipping on Fruitopia watching some dude eat a burger isn't my idea of fun, especially because he'd probably ask me why I wasn't eating and then conversations about veganism aren't exactly super pleasant. I'd also get it in my head that if he thought McDonald's was a fun date, then he must not be an interesting person at all and would be super turned off. You can be broke as fuck and still do something cool for a date. I'd also be offended at the fact that he'd feel the need to "test me" as if I'm an appliance from a thrift shop.

• I don't mind going somewhere cheap but if someone asks me out I expect them to pay just like I would expect to pick up the entire tab if I asked someone out. You are supposed to be thanking someone for their time, not showing how cheap you are.

• I don't understand the link between a place like McDonald's and going Dutch. If we are going dutch and I am paying for myself, then why does it matter where we go? Can he not afford to pay for his own meal at a decent restaurant? That's what I would think. This clearly isn't a good test to see if she is after a guy for his money. If he wants to know if she appreciates the thought he puts into a date, he could take her on a picnic, to the park, hiking, to the beach, etc and not have to spend any money. I would think he's romantic, sweet, considerate, etc. It's not about what he can give me. It's about how he treats me. If a guy is looking to test me, then I don't want to date him. I don't play games.

• Mcdonalds is just stupid and gross and the truth is the psycho male that is trying to test the woman is the idiot showing it's true colors. Any guy that screwed up needs to leave the dating pool. It not only shows that you're cheap and pathetic it shows that you have poor taste you're a lousy person human being date future boyfriend and husband. What female wants to date a loser who takes her to Burger King to quote "test her out". Those are the actions of a psychopath or a creep with a mental illness

• Why a psychopath just for taking a girl to eat at Macdonalds?

• many guys out there... its all a game, a conquest.. they dont want to 'pay for dates." they'll dodge it--not most guys but there are jerks that do this and those are the ones you stay far away from... there are men with money who will pay for anything, and men with little money who'll pay for everything- b/c it reflects on THEM and who they are... it shows that they have some decency at least in that respect... some character- doesn't mean they aren't psychopaths either b/c many of them are, but at least they have some pride...

they don't want to 'pay for a female who they're not sure will sleep with them or not" and many who DONT pay for dates are the ones trying to sleep with a female right away--theyre trying to get "sex for free" in their sick minds... kind of like... well let's see what we can get off her.. let's see how much i don't have to spend and how much i can get off her...

any guy who says anything like this, only the dumbest women will accept their bullsh*t behaviors

• and that's what these pitiful losers count on---the small pool of super confused nice or naive women who feel bad for the guys and buy all their bullsh*t... these women soon learn that these pitiful cheap stingy using disgusting males will continue to use them as much as they can, b/c that's what they are--users and psychos... anyone that arrogant and pathetic... stay away from

• I was in a similar situation and i learned now that if u really like a person you should do an effert to take him or her to a nice place, not necessarily very expensive but much nicer than Mac, taco Bell or BK. In my case the first date the guy treated me and we went to Applebees for our second date we have to go to a similar place not cheap like fast food restaurants and i will invite him this time cause he invited me the first time. In fact I was joking with this guy weeks before that since it was my time to inivte him I would take him to Mac and I was teasing but the guy did not find my comment funny that I was thinking in taking him to Mac. He even told me that if I take him to Mac he would not go out. Like you see Mac is a cheap place to go to eat with your potential date, if u like a person you should take him or her to a better place. Maybe with your friends you can hang out to Mac but not with the guy or girl you like. ANd this guy I like since he is into healthy eating my comment of eating at Mac even if i was joking was kind of insulting for him.

• So... how many lucky ladies have you bagged by letting them know through your actions that their time isn't even worth a cheeseburger?

• Plenty. Over half of them I didn't even have to take them out

• I don't like McDonald's and I certainly don't think it's a great idea for a date, I wouldn't blame a girl for thinking less of a guy who suggested meeting up at McDonald's or a similar place. I just dislike the notion that the courting process should involve the male expending resources to make offerings to keep the girl interested.

Perhaps I'm too idealistic or naive.

• @Bysshe

I personally disagree with spending oodles of cash on first dates, because you have no idea what that person is like, so it's just throwing money away.

A male shouldn't have to expend resources to keep her interested. But pulling stunts that asker described is exceptionally petty.

My boyfriend asked me out on a date and bought me a pint of beer and we just sat there talking for hours. That's it. Grand total spent: £3. If he turned around and asked me for £1.50, he'd never see me again.

We also invite friends over and cook dinner or order takeaway and foot the whole bill, because it's just a nice thing to do for your guests.

• Bro, I have absolutely no problem going dutch on the first date. I do, however, have a problem with being taken to McDonalds and being asked to split a $10 (maximum) check. Like, really? Why would you test that with a restaurant that is not only cheap but disgusting? You're the worst kind of arse because you don't even know you're an arse.

• I'd expect the 'check' to be at least $20. I love food, and I'll spend $10 by myself at Mcds.

• @CandyandPinkCats I value my arteries more than my wallet.

• Going Dutch should be no issue, but come on, mcdonalds? Can't think of a shittier place for a first date even if I tried. Shitty food, screaming kids, angsty teenagers. How fucking romantic.

• To be honest, rather than even taking me out to McDonald's, if the point is for me to show appreciation, I would rather go on a free date- to a park or something like that or if we must go to a restaurant, out for coffee or even a diner. It's more about the ambiance of being in a McDonald's than it is about being cheap... That and I am pretty old fashioned when it comes to dating, so regardless, I would expect him to pay if he asked me out.

• I'd only be a little annoyed because there's nothing I can eat at mcdonalds. Also I hate the company.
    But I don't really mind simple dinner and I always pay for my bill.

• I was just using them as a example.

• Lmao wooow

• @9mfeo DUDE LOL

• @9mfeo yup. Its really realllly outrageous to take a date to a fast food place. Like damn. Idc about bill. Thats a different story.

• I can understand if you were a teenager or something. True. I didn't have any money then either. But a grown ass man can take me to fucking Montana's and not pay a whole lot of money. JFC.

• That would be so lame lol besides I can't even eat at MD's cuz I get a stomach ache from fast food. Are guys these days TRYING ON PURPOSE to completely UNimpress women in the dating world, or what? haha

• If you would've read the title I said I was just using Mickey D's as a example.

• Actually to an extent guys do need to try to unimpress the woman, otherwise they are more likely to end up with gold diggers that use him for their money. I am sure you have heard about guys that always complain about gold diggers, but then try to woo every girl they date by spending money on them. That is what guys have to avoid doing if we want to find a girl that likes us and not our money. Going to the more expensive restaurants, are things to reserve for women that are special. It is similar to how a woman might wait to have sex with a guy, until she is certain he isn't going to use her for sex. Most guys don't have a problem paying, they just don't want to get used. Both genders need to protect themselves from being used, but they get used in different ways.

• Just because the guy takes me on a nice date does NOT mean I will use him for money. All women should be treated nicely on a first dates and not tested unless they give the guy reason to suspect she is a gold-digger. I don't believe in this way of thinking, it doesn't make any sense. To me, the nice guy will ALWAYS win, guys who think like you I would cross off instantly. Don't assume things about me until you get to know me.

• Though same way: If she can dress in sweats on the first date too, then pretty fair
    I'm okay with it

• mcdonalds sounds like a good date to me 😏

• I get what ur trying to say but the fast food restaurant was not a good example in my opinion.. I dont know any girl who would feel good about that. Why? It makes her feel very cheap & not worth it. As in, "Im not even worth a date @ Chili's. Im only good enough for 'Checkers'." Has nothing to do with her being ungrateful. Her being ungrateful would be u taking her to a nice park to sit & have lunch & she complains that u shouldve taken her to a fancy, *cough* expensive restaurant. Ok thats different. But thats just me. Also its nothing wrong with putting effort into the first date. Dont think u should not put in any effort & if she doesn't like it then that means she's unappreciative & is not worth being with. Keep in mind girls put in effort as well.

What Guys Said 17

• I could make sandwiches and have a picnic at the beach for the same cost. It's about using your head, not your wallet

• No, I don't think I would. Why? Because I'm not eating that crappy ass fake food.

The way I see it, it's not a matter of being "brave" vs. being "desperate for female attention." I see it as putting her through a test, and to me that means I'd be playing games.

I'm not at eating McDonald's, and I'm not playing games either. And I'm certainly not desperate.

• I just used that as a example of going dutch.

• I'm not really worried about that kind of stuff.

I don't need to take her to McDonald's or insist we go Dutch in order to decipher a woman's intentions. And if I was clueless as to her intentions, then I probably wouldn't date with her in the first place.

• I would go dutch, but I wouldn't go to McDonald's, that's not a place for a first date. Sure, it's the intention what matters, but your actions show what type of guy you are, and going to McDonald's on a special occasion just proves that you're not willing to go big when it's time to go big. I'm not saying a 5 star restaurant, but a fast food place is the worst place you could take a date.
    But like I said, I will go 50-50 on the bill, if she thinks she's entitled to a free meal just because I'm the man and 50 years ago we were the ones expecting to pay, well, she's not the girl I wanna be with anyway.

• If you have to "go big" then the intent doesn't matter because if it did, you wouldn't have to go big.

• you're an idiot creep
      And scumbag

• @melissa9299 What does that have to do with my comment xD You even commented the same thing I did xD

• To be honest, I wouldn't like McDonalds. That food isn't food, I barely ever go there.

If I invite someone to eat somewhere, I tend to offer to pay - hopefully not because "it's expected of the male" or some shit, but because I invited them.

Alas, if you split the bills and everyone pays for their own, that makes sense too. Whoever is offended by having to pay is a valid option to be weeded out in the process.

• I don't see how its brave. It sounds more like playing mind games than trying to find out about the woman. If you want to know what kind of woman she is just wait and see if she insists on paying her half. Depending on if you embrace gender roles or not, her actions will be a clear indicator as to whether or not you are compatible.

• I wouldn't do it just to do it. If I really, really, really craved McDonald's, then sure, I'd explain and suggest we go there.

But as a guy you don't want a girl taking you crappy places just to test you.

And on a date you want both people to have a great time. That should be the main aim.

• I pay for the first two dates anything after that dutch treat is fine even though I am still to this day not doing it like I have said

• I always pick a pretty nice restaurant, but a fair priced place. Most of the time we let's split the bill.

• ^^ and this is a reasonable attitude. I would and have done the same.

• Just from the way you worded this question I can tell you have a hateful tone. I personally think a first date is about having a good time. I can spend a little more take her to a restaurant that I love and know she will too. That way we both have a great evening even of we don't want to see each other again after that.

• I'm a student. I didn't test, but I met her near the end of the month. Took her to KFC. She was more than okay with. We had fun and the conversation was amazing. If a girl wants to get to know you there are very few things that will turn her away. I don't agree with testing anyone so overtly though

• McDonalds, wtf? I don't eat shit.
    But I would ask to go dutch if she wasn't too dumb and I wasn't just trying to get laid.

• On a first date? Yeah I would never go dutch going in Mcdonalds; I'll go elsewhere

• what does dutch have to do with a crappy restraunt.. doesn't dutch mean spllit the bill

• This is exactly what I was wondering, but haven't gotten an answer to yet.

• That all boils down to finance... what the girl is looking for in a man... in the end food is food and she has to remember who expects who to put out money 💵..😏

• You're not going to change women's minds with rational argument... You need to appeal to their emotions to manipulate their views/feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzlM4t0WOxw

I always go dutch on dates, that could by why I rarely get a second date... but to me those girls aren't worth having if that's the reason.

• I would go to McDonald's but I would make them pay for what they ordered. I want things to be 50/50 in a relationship and if they can't pay for themselves then I want nothing to do with them

• Finally a brave soul

• I meant I wouldn't go to mcdonalds in my original post. That was an accident. McDonald's would be a dumb date. I still wouldn't pay for them though.

• I don't eat that stuff since it's unhealthy

• Dude mickey ds! What are u dating? That just sounds crazy.

• I was using that as a example. If she really liked you she wouldn't mind

• Even if I took a woman to Red Lobster Outback, etc that doesn't mean she's going to want to be my girlfriend down the road, hell it doesn't even guarantee a second date

thoughtcatalog.com/.../

• lol, here we go. One article by one dumb bitch who doesn't have any self respect or shame, so that means every girl you date now, has to go to Mcdonalds on the first date.

You know what's just pathetic as a woman who uses men for meals? A man who thinks every woman needs him for meals. Congratulations you're just as fucked up as what you hate lol