What is it like to be a vegetarian?

How does it effect your life? And why do you do it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been vegetarian for over 20 years, my wife longer. The only real issue is when we eat out or at friends. When we cook at home we choose what we eat, sometimes restaurants are tricky though as they don't always list every ingredient on the menu also eating at friends or family, some people just don't know that certain foods are meat based (jello and marshmallows come to mind) and assure you that it's meat free in ignorance. The other thing that is hard is others opinions (how do you get your protein?) as they have not researched it they just assume that our diet isn't healthy.

Why do we do it? Well we're both active and like healthy eating, we also like the lack of cruelty factor, and the socio-economic factors, also we like the fact that we aren't contributing to the pollution that is inherent in the meat industry. It's cheaper and more varied than a meat diet (quick name 5 types of animals meat comes from, now name 5 vegetables. Which is easier?). And it makes us happy in our choices.

What Girls Said 5

• I've been a vegetarian for more or less 10 years, I don't remembet anymore what it's like being an omnivore, I can't imagine not being a vegetarian. There's nothing hard about it. Being a vegan may be hard, being a vegetarian is easy af. I've answered quite a few questions like this with a lot of detail, so I'm just gonna keep it short this time.. basically, I ''do it'' because as a kid I started disliking meat until I found it completely gross, and of course the animal cruelty factor.

• I first decided to remove all animal products from my diet after watching this documentary about how farm animals are raised and killed and all these other things in the industry. I live in a country where being vegetarian/vegan is seen as abnormal because meat is such a big part of people's diet. This meant that apart from fresh produce, not much else was available like non-dairy milks and yoghurts, chocolate etc. This also made it really difficult to go out to eat at restaurants, or go to family dinners or to parties or just go out to eat in particular because there would always be some kind of meat or cheese in a dish. I always felt like I had to pick whether I would stick to my values or just make an exception to fit in and it definitely put a kind of strain on social relationships. I decided to stick with what I believed and not eat any kind of animal derived products, so people just stopped inviting me places, especially when it involved food so I wouldn't feel left out. I guess it depends if vegetarianism is a big thing where you live- some places cater much more to people with different dietary needs than others and are much more accepting. Another thing which sucks is always having to explain to people why you chose to eat like that and have them ridicule and criticize you along with being like "oh you must be so vitamin/protein/calcium deficient" and blah blah blah.

On the other hand, cutting out meat and dairy from my diet felt great. I felt so much better, my body and health improved, I had heaps more energy, I felt more in touch with my body and other living things, my skin cleared up, and I just had a whole different mindset about things, like a more positive outlook on life. Since the foods I was eating wasn't making me feel sluggish or fat or just overall crap, which usually happened when I ate unhealthy junk food, that was definitely a plus. Also, I had just gone through years of unhealthy eating behaviours, like starving myself (I was eating like 400Kcals a day and spending 3 hours at the gym everyday), binging and purging, and obsessing over calories, so going from that to eating however much my heart desired and still feeling good was like a breath of fresh air. I think even removing some animal products from your diet is going to be beneficial to your health in some way or another.

• I'm a vegetarian since I'm 13 & I've actually decided to become one because I never liked meat and also for ethical reasons - also being a vegetarian is a more healthy way of living but I just found about that a lot later, I never wanted to go back to eating meat or had any cravings since I didn't even like the taste.

• I don't know... I became vegetarian when I was 10 so it's not hard for me because I'm used to it. It hasn't affected my life very much, I go out to eat every week, all of my friends and family eat meat and I don't have any problem with that. I became vegetarian because the idea of eating something which once was breathing and alive really disturbed me, so it was a natural choice for me, and for this reason it's not difficult for me

• Man that's gonna be impossible for me to be a vegetarian though i can't live without eating chicken drumsticks chicken king burger chicken fajita pizza damn

What Guys Said 6

• It would depend on how passionate you where about being a vegetarian. As a guy who love Beef & Broccoli, Steak, BBQ Ribs, Chicken and etc. a vegetarian diet would be hell and suffering for me, but if you're passionate about going that route then I'm sure it won't be that difficult.

Being a vegetarian seems pretty mild, however a vegan is another story.

• Vegetarian live a much healthier life cuz plant base food gives u more energy and help combat disease that comes from meat.

• I'd say it's a very hard lifestyle, but once you get used to it, it's not that hard and besides, it's better for the skin I suppose

• It's just normal. It's been a few years now. It wasn't easy at the very beginning but it's no problem at all now.

• I tried it for a month. It was miserable.

• Imagine being trapped in a small room with a machine slowly inverting your penis. That's what being a vegetarian is like.