Is it okay for me to date a missionary?

(Please don't knock our beliefs)

We've admitted to having feelings for each other, but don't want to mess up each others callings. She's called to be a missionary and I'm not. We want to follow God but feel that for some reason He has let us get this far and don't know what to do?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not saying you two aren't meant to be together, but I do think you need to take a step back and try to look at the situation objectively. You say that God has "let" you get this far, but it's not like He's going to come down there and stop you. You still have your agency, and just because you haven't been struck down or haven't seen any signs telling you to stop, that doesn't mean what you're doing is okay.

Most of the other answerers counsel you both to pray about it, and I completely agree, but you do need to realize that no matter what, you're going to be biased. You can pray until your knees are sore, but if you really want to be with this girl, you might not be willing to listen if God tries to tell you it's not okay.

I think the best thing you can do is to talk to the girl's spiritual superiors. If you explain the situation to them and they agree with you, great, you've got your answer. On the other hand, if they tell you this isn't okay, then you'll have to accept that too. Keep in mind that these people are in touch with the same God you are, and if they feel that this isn't okay, listen to them. They have the benefit of both experience and objectivity, and they are obviously in their position because they are qualified and worthy. Listen to them. If this is truly something that is meant to happen, something that God accepts and endorses, it shouldn't be a secret, right? If it is meant to happen, the girl's superiors should be just as happy about you two as you are. On the other hand, if you're thinking about talking to her superiors and you're worried about what they'll say, you've already got an answer: if you are doing God's will, you will never feel guilty or afraid of the consequences. If you've had any feelings like that about your relationship with this girl, I think you have to break it off.

• It might be a denominational thing, but what do you mean by spiritual superiors?

• "Trust in THE LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge HIM and HE will make your paths straight." I respect your opinion and good intent, but mine is the God of Psalm 139, a God who knows us intimately, one who instructs us, and directs our very steps. All that is required from us is obedience and submission/trust

What Girls Said 2

• You should prayy about it, obviously. If you feel like you guys really are supposed to be together, then go for it. You guys just need to communicate (if you decide to keep with the relationship) so she doesn't loose what her calling is, that usually turns into resentment later down the road. Make sure your not listening to what your mind is saying and what God is actually saying (: (:

• you aren't getting married yet are you? So just let it play out. There is no reason you have to make any decisions now about the rest of your life. So I say continue to date and see what happens.

What Guys Said 4

• I'd say for you both to just be obedient in all that you do, and go for it. In my estimation there are two ways to "Let go, and let God". One school holds that in a case such as yours, you should do your best to separate yourselves from one another and see if God brings you back together, but I'd be more inclined to move toward one another with all that seems reasonable and natural, and see if God is inclined to lead you apart. If you both submit to His will, He will oversee the outcome, so why not choose the path of least resistance according to the desires of your hearts.

• It's a simple matter of priorities. If you're putting god above each other, then yes it will create problems. Not saying they're not problems that can't be worked out, but there will be problems. Maybe you aren't compatible for those reasons. I can't say without knowing a LOT more.

• Even at the risk of messing something up, you must remain human. God knows we all have errors and flaws and doesn't require that people will live to his exact guidance.

Personally, I don't follow any religion; however, god has always understood my mother's intentions (according to her). I believe this applies the same for all of god's "children".

Best regards,

ArtistBBoy

• I'd say, pray constantly and be patient. God knows if you're meant to be together. Knock, and the door of understanding will be opened to you. Sometimes we just have to wait for it.