Does age matter in relationships?

I am 38 and I am dating a man who is 14 years younger than me (he is 24) He is a great guy and I want to marry him one day but he is just so childish.. I have never met a man that is 6'5 and likes to watch cartoons all day like him and is ok with being a gym teacher for the rest of his life because he "loves kids" Does age really play a factor in relationships? Is there a way I can get him to act more mature? Should I just breakup with him?

Most Helpful Guy

• First off I've dated younger women myself and I'm the same age as you. I even dated an 18 year old for about 6 months 4 years ago, which is a 16 year difference. I had a lot of fun, however I knew it wasn't going anywhere as we had different goals and she had a lot to learn before she understood life the way I did/do.

I've always preferred women my own age but the age I am at present it's less likely I'll meet a girl who is either single or capable of child birth so I tend to date younger, up to 10 years however as you say some of them can be way too childish. I suppose it depends what your priorities are compared to his. These days men don't place much stock in family because of the inequalities feminists have forced men to accept within the law in regards to family and marriage. It's not that we don't want such things it's simply a matter of trust, which is hard to have when someone can take away everything you work and come to love. Perhaps try to support him in his goals but bear in mind that men don't respond well to nagging and pressure and we change by ACTING not talking. You need to show him what his future can be like rather than try to convince him of it then see how he responds.

What Guys Said 2

• The people make the relationship, not the age. I've gone 20 years both ways with no major problems. Have you talked with him about your concerns?

• Age doesn't necessarily play a role but maturity level does. I've met many mature 20 something and a bunch of immature people in their 30s and 40s. If you're struggling with his maturity level then you either need to have a discussion about it or let him know you need to be with someone more compatible.

Good luck!

What Girls Said 1

• it matters a bit.