If a company policy is the only mangers who have a college degree, what are the chances of them hiring non college graduates?

Say for a big/chain retail company that requires a four year degree (of any kind), to be a manager? I'm an assiocate and most of my managers love me, so does my current distict manager. One of my managers at the time asked me to become one but he said you don't have a college degree, but you should still interview with the DM and lie about going to college. I don't want to lie so I didn't. However my DM asked me if I was in school right now and said no. But my new manager who is a store manager likes me a lot. I think In a way she is training to become manager to see if I can do it. She gives me tasks that managers usually only do. even though she didn't say it, it's more by her actions. I think she is seeing herself if I can do a managers job before offering it. It's just a feeling I have

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say the chances of them breaking THIS policy and hiring a manager without a college degree is highly unlikely. This is one policy, regardless of the company, companies usually stick with.

Despite the fact I have a college degree, I do disagree with this policy but that's a different argument.

• I do too.

• @Asker The logic just makes no sense to me.

For this situation, we have two candidate applying for a position at a hardware store. Let's say someone earns a Bachelor's Degree in the field of fine arts (let's just say artistic abilities.) Let's say someone who doesn't have a college degree is applying for a management position of the same hardware store and this person has several years of experience at hardware stores AND is knowledgeable about hardware products. I find it sickening companies would hire the person with the college degree than the person without one in this case. Sure, the college degree person might know everything about art history and can draw well, but that has NOTHING to do with managing a store. Nothing. This person may be clueless about hardware products.

There, my rant is over.

What Guys Said 4

• The reason they want to see a college degree is as a proof that you are capable. If you can prove that you are capable to be manager even without college degree, why not?

However the decision are made by higher-ups through the recommendation of their managers.

Good luck.

• Well the DM likes me a lot and my managers always rave about me

• The last thing you wanna do is lie, that can get you fire real quick. Instead propose you will pursue a bachelors if they give you the position.

• I am going to say highly unlikely but it is possible.

• Probably zero.

What Girls Said 1

• Highly unlikely. Typically if a company requires college degrees for specific job positions, they stick to the policy and only hire people with college degrees.