Do looks really matter to girls?

I know most girls don't place too much importance on looks I assume some do but most girls would rather be with a guy who has a good personality and if he happened to be attractive that's extra, but I get the feeling some girls would rather only want to be with guys who are only good looking no matter if they have a good personality or not, Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• If a guy can honesty just make me laugh then i would take him over any "attractive guy"! I wold much rather be happy with someone who is not really that attractive over a boring guy that is very attractive.

What Girls Said 11

• Most people, women included, care about looks. Most people want to be physically attracted to their partner. What people find attractive varies, and a person's personality tends to influence whether or not you'd actually want a relationship with someone.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me how hot a guy is, if he has a bad personality, I won't be interested.

A good personality can make a guy more attractive to me, but only slightly so. Like, I might start finding an "okay" looking guy attractive, but it probably wouldn't make me find an "ugly" guy attractive.

• So you would say that the majority of girls go by more of what they hear as opposed to guys who are more visual when it comes to what they find attractive?

• I'm not sure what he's like in person (in terms of seriousness, smiling, etc.). I just looked up his picture. In some pictures, he's not smiling, but there's plenty where he is, or where he's making as silly face. Someone who never smiles would probably seem unapproachable.

• You don't find him at all intimidating in the pictures he's not smiling? I can see why they would seem unapproachable I hardly ever smile when interacting with girls because I'm always thinking all these different things and it doesn't occur to me that I'm not smiling I just have to remind myself consciously to smile when I talk to girls

• Well, for me it's about 50/50 I think the looks are what will catch my initial attention and attract me physically but the personality is what I will fall in love with. Of course there are people who would rate these things different than me tho (like 30/70 or 70/30 idk)..

• What if a guy who was unattractive and not up to par with your standards as far as looks goes approached you and he had a nice personality would you give him the time of day or make an excuse that you have to go when really you don't want to be there talking to him or would you give him your number then flake on him based purely on the fact that he was not your type when it comes to looks?

• then just try to blend them out when you see a beautiful girl and smile about how pretty you think she is ;)
      I think that's how it could work

• Thank you

• EVERYONE cares about looks, at least to some extent. Those people who say that personality is the only thing that matters, that they don't give a fuck about looks at all, are LIARS. Of course, personality is more important, but it's not like looks are irrelevant. And yep, there are some people who are so superficial that they give 0 fucks about the personality, they just want a hot boyfriend/girlfriend.

• I believe all girls want a guy who's very attractive, but they say personality is everything and yet they date guys that are only attractive and the less attractive guys very rarely get a shot

• It's not fair to only talk about girls. Nobody's gonna date someone they're not attracted to, male or female.

• You're right, because it goes both ways

• Looks matter like 10-15% for me. The rest is all about personality. Looks matter, bit personality is key for me.

• So you would date a guy that your friends told you was ugly? Only if he had a great personality

• Lol, I've liked guys that my friends and family told me that I was too good for just because they thought I was out of his league and was too pretty for him. I never dated them because they either didn't like me back or in my most recent situation, was not single and couldn't really be with me at the moment. I remember meeting one of my old guy friends and when I first saw him, unfortunately, my thoughts were that he was ugly... which I feel so terrible for thinking now. You know what happened later? I developed such a huge crush on him. We got to know each other a little more and then I really liked his personality and we clicked really well. He had a huge crush on me too, but we never dated because at the time I was with someone else. His personality blew me away and that's why I fell for him. His looks became 1000x better after I got to know him more.

• That's funny because I've heard so many girls say that about guys who most girls would say are not attractive they get to know each other and they hit if off and they say there really attractive all because they have a great personality

• Yes to some women, no to others.

• Let me preface this by saying that there are 7 billion+ people on earth, all with different ideas of what beauty is. There are people who get off on tentacle porn, so its not so far-fetched to say that no matter how unconventional your appearance is someone out there believes with all of their heart that you are a perfect 10.
    So yes, looks matter.
    Life is not a would you rather game and beautiful people don't automatically have evil/uninteresting/"bad" personalities. (wth does a "bad" personality mean anyway? what constitutes "bad"?) Why should a person go for one when they can have both?
    My idea of what is aesthetic is really broad, I run across people I believe are perfect 10s every day because I believe humanity really is a work of art. To conclude, no, I would not date a guy simply because he looks good but I won't date a guy I dont think looks good

• I'm really not one to judge but if I ever met an ugly guy with a rest personality it's a 50/50 chance but I would probably date him

• In the past, no one I've dated has been the stereotypical "hot" guy, I've always gone for personality, and in terms of appearance, Im more attracted to his mannerisms than his actual body.

• There you have it every girl is different which is what I was thinking when it comes to looks

• Everyone's different, it's all in his eyes and or smile I'll read his body language his personality shows a tad through his actions, body language etc which speaks more of what he's all about and that's simply attractive!! So really looks is first impressions but it's how he carries himself there after usually if a guy is attractive and a douch i can tell within seconds and he can have a next! Hha

• They do to an extent, but someone's personality can easily override their looks (assuming they aren't good looking)

• Let's say you're a beautiful girl walking down the street and a guy comes strolling along and approaches you your social circle would define him as unattractive so you try not to make eye contact with him to show him you're not interested but that doesn't stop him, are you thinking here we go again another charmer with less than stellar looks please go away? Or do you give him a chance

• You didn't say he was intimidating to begin with, if he was I probably wouldn't give him a chance though, it's not a good trait

• Not necessarily that guy who I was describing in the question, but any guy who's intimidating and I feel like most girls would respond the same way about guys who are intimidating not so much guys who are ugly because I think guys who look serious would make girls feel uncomfortable and afraid

• I admit it's a 50/50 to me. I prefer a guy with the looks and the personality. He doesn't have to be a greek God or a saint. It's all about balance.

• That's good to know I guess everyone has their own preference and it's not a one size fits all

• Agreed. But remember, sex appeal plays a major role in how attractive you come across. Fix your hair, dress well and be confident and you'll be fine.

• That's true appearance means a lot to girls, thanks

What Guys Said 3

• Looks matter SOME to girls, of course.

But not as much as they do for men in terms of being attracted to women.

A woman is more attracted to a guy's personality and intangibles, more than just phyiscal stuff (but the physical stuff is a factor, just a smaller one).

• Girls care about looks just like we do, but they realize that personality matters more so as time goes on personality becomes more and more important relative to looks. But they absolutely do matter.

• The girls only care about personality is one of the biggest lies ever told. Completely 100% false.