Would an 18 year-old girl date a 24 year-old guy, or is the age gap too big?

I'm a grad student, and recently I met this amazingly fine girl who works in our campus tour program. I started talking to her and found out her name, and it turns out that she's an 18 yo freshman. I was kind of bummed by this, because I'm not sure about that age gap. I'm 24, so that's a pretty big stretch, especially since this is her first year at college. She seems really mature, though, like I would have never guessed she was in her teens. I'm so attracted to her, so I'm really tempted to take a chance and see what happens. Can this work out?

16

Most Helpful Girl

• When I was 16 my first real relationship was with a 23 year old who was turning 24 soon after we met. I can never understand the fuss of the age gaps because I knew who I was and what I wanted from 16 onward, and continued to date men who were older. I didn't even keep it a secret from my parents. I was always honest about where I was and who the guys were I dated. No point in worrying about how things seemed. I found that if *I* made a big deal of it, so did others.

If you met a great girl who is 18 then date her if you want to! :) She's already two years within the gap I had when I dated a 24 year old, and we were together for a long time, he and I. (I actually did want to marry him after a couple of years, but he ended up being a cheater, so that's the only reason why we split up. Had he not, I would have easily been with him for the long haul.)

• My main worry right now is the "creep" factor. She doesn't know my age yet, and I'm worried that she'll be put off when I tell her.

• HA! Yeah, you might be right. I think I'll just go for it with her and act like everything is as it should be. She's a love-at-first-sight kind of girl, so it's worth the potential heartache. Thanks so much for your help :-)

• Awesome! I hope it works out! It would have been one of those "I wonder what would have happened.." kind of moments if you didn't at least talk to her and see where it goes.

What Girls Said 15

• Of course it can work. Don't think about her age but how mature she is and you'll that it isn't such a big gap. If you're into her go for it and forget about it, it is just a detail. Show her what a real man you are. Kiss and good luck :$

• LOL thanks

• Awesome, thanks a bunch

• You're welcome babe :)

• from what i've been reading its you who has the issue of the age gap, its not an issue unless you make it one and act differently because of it. There's only 6 years between u its not a lot, most women like there to be an age difference. She most likely acts differently around you because she likes you, just take it easy, get to know each other a bit, don't rush it because you'll blow it,. Treat her as you would any other girl you liked, i wouldn't bring up the age issue unless she does! Try the "friends" thing out first, with inviting her out etc, not exactly a date but not still has the promise of one:) (let her picture you & her together, if she hasn't already that is) how exactly did u meet, what did you converse about etc?

• We met when I saw her on campus conducting a tour for perspective students. I was instantly attracted to her, like who's that? She saw me standing outside the building as they walked up and she asked me what classes were held there. I made a joke about skipping class and probably sounded completely dopey but I couldn't get over her. I made a note of her name on her tag and looked her up in the campus directory. Then I stalked her by joining a club she's in, and that's how we started talking.

I'm not going to do the "friends first" thing. That only leads to frustration and heartbreak. I know from experience that if the guy doesn't make a move within her timeframe, she labels him either disinterested or a pussy and moves on. I won't bring up age at all, but I'm convinced that she'll write me off if I don't display some balls and make a play for her. She's got tons of other options.

• We've only known each other for two months. That's why I need to make a move now or risk losing out on her. The last time I saw her we had our first physical contact (we hugged hello and she touched my arm later), so I think that's a good sign that she's physically receptive to me. I'm really attuned to girls' body language. I like to get physically close and see how they react to me. I'm a big guy, so either I make her nervous or she kind of gets giddy.

And no, I'm not going to tell her that I stalked her until much, much later. I think she already knows, though, because I did show up out of the blue. My female friends think she's probably very flattered that I went out of my way to get to know her like that LOL

• How have things gone?

• Definitely can, if she's awesome and you enjoy her don't let the age discourage you. I met my then 25 year old boyfriend when I was 18, it's not too bad of an age gap it just depends on maturity!

• There is more chances of a relationship working out where the guy is older than the female than the opposite.

It definitely can, especially if she is more mature. However I would wait and instead let her get to know you more. If she starts seeking and enjoying your company then you can attack Lol whatever the outcome is at least a friendship will be formed and that's a great basis for a relationship regardless.

P. S. I dated a 27 yo when I was 18

• I'm worried that if I wait she'll think I'm not interested or lack the balls to ask her out. In my experience, girls respect the guys who ask them out right away a lot more than the guys who hang around and wait for signals. I used to be that guy, so now I'm trying to become more confident and go for what I want.

• That is true. I've been on both sides. It depends where she is atin her life. Go with your gut feeling. Either way, your feelings will be exposed. When you tell her be confident, smile, and dont pussy foot around the issue

• Most likely yes, if she likes you. It's about maturity and how well you get along, if she's mature you're both adults from my point of view.

• Take the chance, maybe it will work out.

• Nah, the age gap is okay.

• Some might and some might not. I personally wouldn't at that age but I'm sure others would.

• As long you both have things in common and kind of want the same things in life you shouldn't be worried about anything. by the way im 20 and my boyfriend is 27.

• Were you naturally attracted to him or did he have to win you over?

• I was actually very attracted to him but he did have to win me over ;p

• the age gap is not that big. anything more than 10 years is a big gap for me though

• it's cool, no problem

• I'm 19 dating a 25-year-old.
    Age doesn't matter as long as you are on the same level mentally.

• Did you think the age difference was weird when you met him, or was it something that actually attracted you to him?

• Right from the start I did not care about his age.
      I've simply felt attracted to his whole appearance.

• Well, my crush's friend told me that she acts shy around me in a way that she doesn't with other guys, and she though it was because I am quite a bit older than her.

• Age shouldn't matter you are both adults so I say go for it!

• I'm 20, my boyfriend is turing 30. I honestly don't even think about it or realize it for the most part - the only time it gets to me is when he goes to bars because I can't drink. Relationships with the guy being older usually works out more because girls mature a few years earlier too. It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

• I think it's cute that younger girls believe they can 'handle' older guys. There's 16 yo who has a crush on me, and she told me she believes she's totally on my level.

Thanks for the advice :-)

• At 18 I was dating 32 yr olds. As long as the person is 18 or older they can date someone 60 years old and it wouldn't matter. For me age is only a number, as long as they're no minors involved.

• Do you think most 18 yo girls are attracted to older guys, or is it relatively rare?