Why has there never been a black bachelor on that show The Bachelor?

Most Helpful Girl

• Good question. There have been 19 seasons of The Bachelor and 11 seasons of The Bachelorette, and not one of the bachelors or bachelorettes have been black.

I can't speak for the past, but recently, "fan favorites" are picked to be the next bachelor or bachelorette. Since there aren't many black contestants (only like two per season), black people don't have much of a chance at being a favorite. And to be honest, I'm pretty sure most of the bachelors/bachelorettes are more interested in marrying within their own race, leaving a cycle of white people running the show.

Personally, I think it'd be awesome for the show to have some more diversity. I also liked back when the bachelors were picked more at random (like from videos/interviews) and not from just being fan favorites.

What Girls Said 5

• Oh my god I never even realized until now O_O That's super sucky of ABC. They're not exactly equal opportunity employers. Woooow.

• I don't know, no idea. But no need to turn it into a racist-ish thing.

• No on is.. Just asking a question

• I know, I was just saying.. since this is what a lot of these questions turn into.

• I suppose there's no need precisely because the reason IS racist. So in that regard you're correct.

• Why would there ever be America is far too racist still and not ready for such a thing yet. Having an attractive, educated, black man with a stable line of work that'd just be too much for production and some viewers to handle. No to mention he'd probably most likely end up picking a Caucasian woman and all hell would break loose.

• Didn't you hear about the scandal like a 2 years ago? The show is racist. They don't want a black person on the show, therefore there is none.

• ... because they aren't that desperate

What Guys Said 10

• This is one of the most astute and interesting questions I've seen on GAG.

America would be a very different place if we were actually capable of having a black Bachelor with white contestants (or a strongly diverse group of women, including several whites). That this is still borderline inconceivable shows (among many other things) how far we have to go as a nation.

As a white American boy whose godmother is black, all manifestations of racism and prejudice affect me deeply, but the asker is pointing out a facet of American life which is way more important than an odious reality show on TV.

Anyway, as @Luv2BRealExotic13 said, the answer is quite simply, "We couldn't handle it." That's what it all boils down to.

• Because a white Bachelor has more mass appeal.

I'm a black guy and I can check my emotions and think in a business like way and understand this.

• You must have missed it, they did have one, but he got his own separate show

Flavor of Love...

• Wouldn't surprise me if the audience was overwhelmingly white, upper-middle class and female. And probably trends somewhat conservative too. They cast for their audience.

• Is that even still a thing?

• I doubt it has anything to do with race.

• Maybe because there aren't any?

• Cuz niggas be like "I ain't dis desperate yooooo"

• Because the media has a influence on society's dating and relationship lives. The powers that be KNOW they can't stop white women from dating and/or marrying non white men (especially black ones) but they don't want to promote it either unless its a non white woman and a white guy... Look at TV and hollywood shows/movies. They are promoting the HELL out of non white women/white men relationships.

• Just to piss you off