My crush likes me back, but he still managed to friend zone me. Help?

I decided to tell my crush that I like him when it came up. We were texting and I said something along the lines of, "You know, I actually like you. Let me know if it's mutual, but if not, we never have to mention it again :P".
He texts back with, "I like you too, but we're such good friends."
I feel like this is almost some sort of crappy movie, but it does feel good to have off my chest. I don't quite understand why this would happen, when now, instead of just getting together and being as chill as we usually are if we break up (seriously, nothing is a big deal between us), we have to sit around knowing that we're both attracted to one another but won't do anything about it.

What should I do? My friend thinks that I should suggest we give it a shot anyway next time it comes up, but I don't want to pressure him. Advice?

What Guys Said 1

• Breakups always change things. Not always friendship-ending. But things will be different. Keep this in mind.

If you still really want to date him, do what your friend said. :)

What Girls Said 1

• you should back off a little bit.