Is it normal to not say anything when your boyfriend makes subtle mean comments to you? What is a good response?

The last guy I dated (for several months) would make subtle rude comments to me. But I never said anything. I would just let it roll, cause I didn't want to make a big deal out of something so small. (I broke up with him for multiple reasons, but lately I've been thinking about it).
Some examples:
- We were at the pub. The waitress forgot my side dressing for my salad. I had to get up and go to the bar to ask for it. He says, with flat, stern tone, "Oh, are you causing trouble now?"
- We got in the car. I went to put on my seat belt, but realized I had already put it on. I laughed a little and said, Oh, I already got it on. He says with flat stern tone "It wasn't that funny".

I would realize these are kinda mean things to say, but I would make excuses for him, like Oh, he was tired. He's been working a lot. He's stressed about leaving for his work conference the next day, etc.
But what if I just responded with something like, You don't have to be mean. or What's your problem?
Then again, I imagine if I did say something like that, he would just stare at me flatly and not respond! Then what do I do?

Most Helpful Girl

• its normal.

What Guys Said 1

• Dump him? Sounds like a jerk...

What Girls Said 1

• he sounds like a jerk if you have not already