Why be the stereotype?

I live in a pre-dominantly black area. And a lot of girls don't like me because not only am I pretty but I speak very proper. The girls that speak ghetto say I sound like a white girl and look at me as an easy target. I really don't know what sounding like a white girl is, because really how can you sound a color? What is up with people thinking I have to act a certain way because I am black? Why be the stereotype? when you can beat the stereotype.

Most Helpful Girl

• I totally understand what you're going through because I was in that exact same situation when I was in high school. People made fun of me for being skinny instead of thick like most of the other girls. They said, "I sounded and acted white" because I spoke proper English. They called me an "oreo." Those ignorant black people were the main reason why I hated high school and I regret letting their stupidity get to me. The stereotype is stupid and because they behave that way, they won't get very far in life. They won't be able to get a good job because they don't know how to behave intelligently and no business would want them representing their company. Just keep your head up and go against the stereotype. Don't ever change yourself for anybody. There are plenty of people who appreciate the fact that you don't speak ebonics. And you are already more successful than they are simply because you have the good sense to speak properly. And the next time someone says, "you sound like a white girl" tell them,"well, you sound like an idiot."

What Guys Said 2

• Well that is defiantly a first to hear about to me. It really is stupid though in my opinion, personally am kinda glad to hear you choose to speak like you have some sense in your head as opposed to the others who..well, mostly sound like they know nothing at all.

Some people are just plain stupid though and feel if you don't act the way they do then your not worth the time. Wish I knew why but I would try to ignore them and not worry about it as much. You'll be the one more likely to get a job over them I'm sure :D

• im in exactly opposite situation. I'm white but I "sound" black and I don't like when people say that. some people come up to and say are you racist? I be like what the f***? so just be yourself

What Girls Said 2

• I grew up with an English teacher for a mother, so I understand where you are coming from, kind of. Everyone where I live talks with a thicker accent and sound a little hick-ish, but I was raised knowing how to speak "better", so it seems to me a person should try to sound as intelligent as they are. To me how you speak shows how you where raised and what you've been taught, not who you are or what color you are. So I say be you, and be proud of it.

• I know exactly how you feel. I used to live in the hood and people would always tell me I talked white (my mom is foreign so I learned from her) or she think she all that because she's mixed (can't really help that). Some people are just ignorant. It used to bother me but this "white girl voice" has gotten my foot in the door with more job interviews so hey..

Sounding like a white girl could either mean you have a "white girl voice" or you don't speak ebonics or slang. Not so sound racist but sometimes there is a difference between the voice of a typical white girl and a typical black girl. All grammar aside, but have you ever closed your eyes when someone talked? You can tell by the voice. If you went to school around a lot of white people you may have a white-sounding voice. But in your case it sounds like they're talking about you not using slang.

People just need to stop worrying about how the next person talks! Likely they are just jealous of you because you're pretty and are just picking apart anything about you that is different to them.